What do I do

I have a problem. I hate my job and am currently looking for a new one. I work 10 hr days at my current job and recently (next wk) switch to 8 hr days. They are actually working w/ me for a change. Before I asked for 8 hr days I put in an application to be a para educator at one of the schools. My friend and co-work is in the same postion as I am as far as hating our jobs and looking for a new one. I didn't know that she also applied for the school job. She had her interview and according to her it didn't go well. They (the school) finally called me for an interview. Is it wrong to "compete" with your friend for the same job? What if I get it and she doesn't? I don't care if the situation is reversed and she gets it an not me because I do want to give 8 hour days a chance but what do I do?
also posted in money and work

ntschetter

Asked by ntschetter at 9:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• If your friend didn't have a job, I would not compete with her since you already have one and she would be in a much more desperate position, but since you both have jobs you should still go to the interview. If she is your friend, she will be happy for you if you get the job and who knows? Maybe if you get the job and work there for a while you can pave the way to get her in there too!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 9:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I guess I'm a survivalist. I wouldn't think twice about it. Go interview and get the good job. You've worked hard to earn the interview. If she's really your friend, she'll understand that this isn't malicious-- it's a job.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Of course it is not wrong. Your family is always your top priority. If Mom isn't happy, no one will be happy.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• When it comes to business, friendship stops at the door. You need a job before anything else in this world... friendship comes later. If she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, screw her. You have a job and are making money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If her interview didn't go well, she's not gong to get the job whether or not you apply.

Go for it. A true friend would rather a friend got the post than someone else.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I say go for it. There is no harm in you both going for this job. If you are good friends, I would imagine that either of you would be happy for the one that received the job.
    Anonymous