Do you believe in assisted suicide?

I was just curious on how u laides felt about assisted suicide..Im kinda on the fence, like for an example if your family member was on their death bed,would you be able to pull the plug? If they were in pain,and had no living will and you had to make the final decision.. I dont know if I could because there is always that "what if" they came out of a coma...I was watching this story about how a mother took care of her son after and accident and he came out of a come after 20yrs... of course he knew nothing, he still believed Kenndy was president.... its a very tough decision because of course they will need around the clock care,but if its your mom or dad, thats going to hurt knowing you made the final decision for them to go,but of course you dont want to see your family in pain......

Samantha2174

Asked by Samantha2174 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Good question! I don't know how I really feel.. same as you I guess. I am just the type of person that would ALWAYS hold out hope, but I know the chances of coming out of a long-term coma are pretty rare, but I just don't know if I could live with myself if I had to be the one to make a decision like that.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 9:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• To my knowledge, the only state that protects the right to die for terminal people is Oregon. It's a pretty involved process.

My mom had to watch her father and 2 of her in-laws suffer gruesome deaths because there was no living will. Her father actually begged her once when he could still speak to suffocate him with his pillow. She made out a very specific living will and has shared it with everyone.

I never want to have to make a decision like this, but I know that my mother loves us all enough that she doesn't want us to suffer over these choices. Now, I never have to guess about what she wants or feel guilty.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Washington State has an assisted suicide law. I am for it. Why should'nt people be allowed to dye with dignity and keep from ruining their family and loved ones financial lives?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes, I do.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I absolutely do. Someone with a terminal illness who is going to die soon, shouldn't have to suffer.

We have ways to know if someone in a coma has brain activity or not. If there is no brain activitiy, there is no chance of someone coming out of it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I do, but the question is would I myself be able to make such a decision if the need arose. This would have to wait and see how I would react, hopefully I love them enough to make the right choice.

Answer by older at 10:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• yep, with no reservations. None of us have the right to tell someone when and how they may end their life.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes I would want this and have no problems with it. I do have problems watcing a loved one suffering with no hope of ever being better not get help.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes I do.
    emdred

Answer by emdred at 10:45 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• How is pulling the plug any different? That happens all the time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2009