Is this wrong?

When my child says something disrespectful we send her to her room for 1 hr for the paticular disrespect. We have her write what she did wrong and what she should have done. Have you done this or what works better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think thats great. as long as you dont yell, scream or hit her.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Not at all, a very wise way to deal with disrespect.

Answer by older at 10:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• sounds good. I do the same thing with my 9 yo
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Not sure Id make my child write what they did wrong but they sure would be telling me what it was with their apology, after the time out.

My child gets some time out and then has to apologize but not that long in time out but he's 5.

I think if it works for you guys then keep doing it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My daughter gets 9 minutes in time out and while in time out she writes how she is going to correct her mistake. Writing has helped her in school and it has also helped her attitude. It works great for us.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 11:45 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• The hour time limit seems a bit harsh, I like the 9 minute time out that MuddyHuggies uses. Think I might use this one when my kids are old enough to write. I use timeouts and take away toys for a specified time limit (if the infraction involves them or is bad enough) right now. Seems to be working - it's keeping me same anyways.

Did someone critizise you for this?? Tell them to mind thier own P's & Q's cause it's a pretty good solution!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• How old is your child? If she is a teen or a tween then I think 1 hour is fine.
    Anonymous

• The discipline sounds fair to me, but the question really is does it work?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• She is 11 and yes it does work but the problem is "IT ONLY WORKS FOR THE TIME BEING" then she does it again (the disrespect). 9 minutes wouldn't do a thing. Tried that many, many times w/the small time outs and didn't impact her at all! Taking away things and the 1 hr in her room for her to cool down seems to work but doesn't cure it. I need something that STOPS the backtalk and disrespect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2009