Isn't this enough reason for the hate crime bill?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/22/lia.shenandoah.killing/index.html?iref=newssearch

Asked by older at 10:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Ladies, I have enjoyed our debate except of course for the trolls that follows me around, wishful thinking will not get much whocares, but dream on!
    My troll seems to think our President has no authority in our country will one of you please fill her in that even though she doesn't like him he is still her President.
    Anyway, I will close this question with a thought, this country is a great one, and I am very proud to be an American citizen, everyday I get closer to my goal, equality for all, and this bill considers those who are different just as special as the rest. Those that feel this bill discriminates need to read it throughly, and understand our judicial system before making assumptions. One life is not valued more than another every crime is not a hate crime and not every crime is the same, violent crimes are just that but circumstances and procedure must be followed in order to convict. To all I bid a good night!

Answer by older at 8:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No. Murder is murder, regardless.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• mancos, nobody said any different.

Answer by older at 10:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• This sends a message that violent crimes based on discrimination will not be tolerated in this great country. There have been 80,000 violent hate crimes reported since 11 years ago since this bill was proposed.

Answer by older at 11:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• All crimes are committed because of hate in a sense. There is no need for a hate crimes bill. All crime is hateful. The only reason for it to give special treatment to gays and minorities... it's ridiculous. The hate crimes bill punishes people for their assumed thoughts... accusing them of committing a crime because of their "hate" towards a black person or a gay person or whatever. Crime is crime, no matter why it's committed. Punish people for their crimes, not their assumed thoughts about the victim. We already have laws for crime... we don't need laws that give preferential treatment for gays and minorities...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• "This sends a message that violent crimes based on discrimination will not be tolerated in this great country. "

Violent crimes, regardless of discrimination, should not be tolerated in this great country. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Anon, Every act of violence is tragic and harmful in its consequences, but not all crime is based on hate. A hate crime or bias motivated crime occurs when the perpetrator of the crime intentionally selects the victim because of who the victim is. A bias motivated crime affects not only the victim and his or her family but an entire community or category of people and their families Hate crimes laws punish violent acts, not beliefs or thoughts – even violent thoughts. The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act does not punish, nor prohibit in any way, name-calling, verbal abuse or expressions of hatred toward any group, even if such statements amount to hate speech. The Act does not punish thought or speech or criticism of another person. The Act punishes only violent actions – not thoughts or beliefs -- based on prejudice.

Answer by older at 11:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• What is going to happen when it cannot be determined if it was a hate crime and some scream it was it was grrrr ..I mean will we eventually have our thoughts monitored as well? A brain zap distributed each time anyone thinks anything deemed to be 'hate' lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• tnmom.

Please read the bill maybe you would understand then. It is so hard to understand that Congress just add the crimes against Gays to the hate crimes category.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• tn, part of what I commented to the Anon, is a partial quote from the actual bill, read and learn.

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2009