What are your thoughts on being induced?

The nurse in my doctors office said that I could be induced a week before my due date, but Ive heard that most women who are induced end up having c-sections, is this true?

CamLivysMomma

Asked by CamLivysMomma at 10:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont know if thats true or not...but I would wait for things to happen naturally---only induce if medically necessary---your baby may need an extra week
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:38 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would NOT do it! Your body starts labor when the baby is ready. If you're not in labor yet its cause the baby isnt ready yet. Also, if you induce and your body hasnt started on its own, it wont work. Thats one reason why so many induced women get c-sections. Cause you're fighting your body. I dont think you should take my word for it though. Do your own research. A simple google search will convince you not to do it!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I was induced with all three of my children and had three vaginal deliveries. I think the chance of a csection is increased. It is your call though. If you trust your Dr, then I would go with your Dr decision. Address any concerns with ur doctor before making the final decisions. Best of luck.
    MamaMia2Three83

Answer by MamaMia2Three83 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Inductions do increase the risk of c-sections. And when you know that your EDD can be off by as much as two weeks either way, induction also increases your risk of delivering a baby who needs NICU because his lungs aren't quite ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'd say if you don't HAVE to be induced for a medical reason, you should just wait until the baby is ready. I was induced almost 3 weeks ago for a medical reason (at 39 weeks) and everything went fine. I have heard about them ending in a Csection and that they're way more painful than laboring naturally, but I didn't have either of those problems. Still, I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have to.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 11:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have been induced 2 times, both went beautifully. The last time was on 10/16 and it was the easiest labor and delivery I have had. I felt great the next day. I don't know anyone who has ended up with a c section as a result of a failed induction.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I was induced (pre-e). I started the pitocin around 7am and had my daughter before 5:30pm. Everything was wonderful. Chances of a C-section are increased, but that does not mean you will have to have one :)
    usmclife58

Answer by usmclife58 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes that is true.

unless you have a medically necessary reason for induction i suggest that you refuse.

PLEASE do your research and look up these things on your own. Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth is a wonderful group here on CM that can give you great sources.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/a/risksinduction.htm

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1484912/The_Lie_of_the_EDD_Due_Date

http://www.aimsusa.org/ObstetricDrugs-NotApproved.htm

http://www.whatisaids.com/cytotec107.htm

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you were to get induced I would at least wait till your due or over due, I wouldn't do it early unless for medical reasons, I was induced with my son a week over due and had a vaginal dilivery, my labor was 22 hours long however, but I would have done it again if I had the chioce. good luck.
    Anonymous

• I was induced with all my children except for my first (5) I prefer to be induced. The DR. said my body doesnt produce the hormone to make me go into labor (i guess i'm broke) They must be doing it for a reason. Is you baby really big? I prefer induction because you can have your epidural early and you have time to rest. rest is so important during labor. I had my first natural and that was the STUPIDEST thing i could have done. Good luck.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009