How do I get my 15 mo. old to stop biting and hitting?

We just recently moved and my son has consistently started biting and hitting my dauhter. He bit her a little before the move but now he does it at least a few times a day. I take him to a babysitters at least 4-5 times a day where before only about 2 -3 times and sometimes it would be at our house. I know that the big change has a lot to do with it and him having to go th ababysitters all of th e time but how do I get hime to stop? I've tried pretending to cry when he hits me( he won't bite me). I've had my daughter do the same when he bites her. I was so desperate that I even tried biting him back but that didn't work and I just felt bad.

purecity

Asked by purecity at 10:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I would do is immediately remove him from the situation. It definitely is from the change in his life, but that doesn't excuse it. The message you need to get across to him is that it is unacceptable behavior. So do not issue warnings or second chances, put him in a time out right away, but make sure it's in his room. That way he does not have your attention. Lock the door if necessary (sounds weird, but it's only to ensure he does not get out and you don't under mine the point by putting him back 3-4 times). Consistency is key here.

Give rewards (even if it's just a sticker) if he goes a whole day without hitting, biting.

Oh and make sure that when he gets out of time out that you discuss why he went into time out and that he's not a bad boy and that you love him.

Try and find other ways to help him vent his frustrations (punching pillows, etc).

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 12:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• bite em back, not enough to leave a mark, bet he wont do it again.
    Anonymous

• Don't do either 1 of da 2 advices. The 1st would b good if ur son was over 3. Time-out is only seen as a part of a routine. Time-out is a time 4 them to reflect on their negative behavior.

X the 2nd, for obvious reasons...Ur only teaching him that a bigger person wins. Don't be surprised if he ends up biting or hitting younger kids.

1st identify the problem, does he want ur DD attention? Or is he competing 4 urs? What's happening b4 the biting?

Next, console DD 1st n let him c this. He needs 2 know (by watching) that his actions caused a negative reaction. Then turn 2 him n say ur teeth hurt DD. (Don't overdo this part or else he'll interpret it as positive attention. Then tell him, we need 2 touch w/ love (or however u want 2 put it) n caress his hand n have him caress YOURS. Don't let him do it 2 DD cuz he might still have it in him to bite or hit. Give him LOTS of praises when he does this. Ask him 2 do this often!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Time out is to remove him from the situation. Obviously, he's frustrated or something, otherwise he wouldn't be biting or hitting. My son is 2 and time out works best for him. You have to figure out what's best for your child. There's no rule or "proof" that time out is only effective for children 3+ years of age.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 6:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My son is almost 16 months and has been biting and pulling hair lately. Whenever he does it I pick him up, firmly say "we dont bite/pull hair, it hurts Mommy/Daddy'. Then I put him in his pack n play for a few minutes. The pack n play is in the living room with me. I do not look at him while he is in there. When he comes out he always gives me a hug and I tell him how much nicer the hugs are than the bites. He went from biting/pulling hair several times a day to now only once or twice a day and it is usually when he is overly tired.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 10:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think I may try the pac n play thing cause he's been in his crib(where i put him for timeout) more than he hasnt today, because of how many times he has bit and hit. I feel really bad about that. He's been getting plenty of attention from me today although I have been quite irratable from not having time to myself or a break of any kind. Thanks , everyone for your help.
    purecity

Answer by purecity at 2:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009