Mixing pantheons

Recently I read that some witches & Pagans feel that, while they are perfectly comfortable associating with gods from different pantheons, it is not a good idea to call upon deities from different pantheons within the same ritual or spell. I asked some of my Pagan friends & of course got a mixed bag of answers. So I am curious what the witches & Pagans here think.

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Since I don't think of the gods as "people" but as manifestations of energy I feel comfortable calling upon any deity whose associations match my intent, without regard to their pantheons
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I see them more as energy as well but I probably wouldnt mix just cuz thats how my mindset is LOL.

Like mixing granola with cool whip...I just wouldnt do it cuz to me it seems odd but others wouldnt have an issue with that LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have worked with Gods/esses of mostly the Celtic decent, but have called on a few outside such as Bast (Egyptian) to help protect/heal my kitties... But when I am working a ritual/spell I only use one Pantheon set of Gods/Goddess for mine needs at that time.. I do not mix pantheons..during the spell/ritual... I find the one(s) that will help the most for that intent and use them...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Would it be in their nature to work together?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Answered at 2:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 by: NotPanicking
    Would it be in their nature to work together?

That is one of the reasons some witches & Pagans don't call them together. There is a question of rivalry, jealousy & a cultural tendency to try to dominate. Most gods show some of these tendencies at least some of the time. I haven't found it to be a problem, but I can see where it could be & why some people simply avoid the problem by avoiding the situation.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I personally don't think that there's any problem in mixing pantheons, so long as you're comfortable with it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I think that the gods and goddesses of each pantheon existed--and MAY still exist--as spiritual entities, each with their own qualities. They were equal mixes of beneficence and malevolence. I do sometimes do spells involking the spiritual qualities of the god or goddess that I name, even tho I'm an atheist and don't believe in them as deities. As nysa00, Amaranth, and gmasboy pointed out, they represent certain energies and that is what I hope to channel in my spellwork. But the energies are also not always compatible. Eros and Cupid both represent love, but at different levels and involking them together might not be wise, as the energies might bring about the wrong result. But using Athena for one spell and Hecate for another is something I have no problem with.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009