Milk supply...I dont think im producing enough for my son?

My son is 10 days old and a hungry little guy. He doesnt sleep more than 2 hours without waking up wet or poopy or hungry. I have been pumping because I get engorged and my fiance helps feeds our son so I can rest. I used to be able to pump about 3 to 4 oz at a time now i seem to only pump 1 oz or 2 oz...Am I running out of milk> or not eating enough> how do I know hes happy with my milk, hes always fussy at night and takes an hour after feeding to put him to sleep....any ideas or suggestions! im a new mom and new to bf. my mother and gma arent to for bf...but I am for his health

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you pump means NOTHING. 3-4 ounces a session is an unusually large amount. One to two ounces is normal.

BUT...you need to nurse at the breast EVERY TIME for the next few weeks. Save pumped milk for when you're not home. I know, it means you don't get as much sleep. Sory, that goes with the "mom" job description. Expect eight hours again in about 50 years. **grin**

Everything you describe is 100% normal. Newborns fuss at night.

Are you changing 6-8 dipes a day? It is the ONLY thing that means ANYTHING. Everything else you've written is NORMAL and means nothing vis-a-vis supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Tips to increase milk: drink a ton of water. you have to have fluids in you. there is a tea called mother's milk by traditional medicinals and most grocery stores have it. brew it in a covered pot. Also, eating fennel can increase your milk supply. Some women don't let down their supply to a pump as easily as they do to the baby.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would suggest to nurse baby as often as possible and then pump when he is done to make sure that you are completely empty. That is the only way you are going to increase your supply. Babies go through growth spurts where they seem like they aren't satisfied. They eat more and sleep less and then they sleep more and eat less when they are done with the spurt. This happens frequently for the first year of life. I would say to just be patient and it will be over soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You say your mom and grandma aren't for breastfeeding? I don't mean to sound mean at all, but are they saying things to make you doubt yourself? Are they saying things like "you weren't fussy, it must be that he isn't getting enough?" Because to me it sounds like he is probably getting enough because you say that he is wet or poopy every 2 hours when he wakes up. I recommend contacting your local La Leche League and going to meetings. The LLL ladies will answer any questions you have and give you loads of advice. Not to mention the support you need if you are doubting yourself and not getting any support from the women in your family.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Your baby sounds healthy and your milk supply sounds just fine! :) Good you, breastfeeding despite the lack of support from your family!! Keep it up!
    Pumping never produces as much as nursing, so don't take that as an indication of how much milk your baby is getting. Go ONLY by how many wet diapers he is having. If you are changing him every couple of hours, there is no supply problem. You do not need to worry about taking mother's tea or any other supplement to increase your supply.
    I agree with gdmiante - it's going to suck not getting as much sleep, but don't give bottles for awhile, strictly put baby to your breast. This will help establish your supply. Your body will produce what baby needs, but if you are pumping rather than nursing for some of those feedings, and you aren't pumping as much as he would take in on his own (again, that's normal), then you are creating a supply problem for yourself in the future.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you're engorged, put your baby to your breast instead of the pump.
    If you want daddy to help more, have him find other ways to be helpful, I am sure there are plenty! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It sounds like you have a normal baby and a normal milk supply. I suggest you keep on doing what you are doing. Nurse on demand. I'm not a fan of pumping unless you anticipate a separation from baby. At this stage in the game, I would NOT be pumping unless I absolutely needed to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• NO bottles. Giving bottles is not helping you rest it is ruining breastfeeding. In the early weeks NO bottles. Your body needs the stimulation of frequent nursing. Bottles can cause your baby to have problems nursing. NO bottles or pacifiers.

You don't need to be pumping. Your baby should be nursing that milk you are pumping.

Pack away pumps, bottles, pacifiers, and any formula you have.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It sounds like you need to take the bottles out of the equation, and focus of breastfeeding to keep up your supply. You shouldn't be pumping this early; you need to be focused on getting breastfeeding going smoothly. Don't overdo the water, it can actually interfere with your supply. If the baby still seems hungry after draining your breast(s), you might try using fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea to help up your supply.
    Once you guys have established your nursing relationship, and your supply, then you can start pumping again. A good way to get a bunch of milk- pump on one side while nursing on the other. The baby stimulates hormones that a pump can't that help with let down. Keep the milk for when you are out, and maybe one night feeding once the baby is a couple of months old.
    Right now, you need to focus on NURSING, NURSING, NURSING. No pumping or bottles for now. Try talking to a lactation consultant or La Leche League.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2009