Breastfeeding diet and trying to loose baby weight?

what can i do to eat right, like a meal or diet plan to go with breastfeeding but also loose my extra 40 pounds that I gained with my pregnancy? I want to be healthy for my son, but I also want to loose the tummy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Weight Watchers has THE BEST plan for nursing moms. But remember, nine months on, nine months off.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• More nutrients, fewer calories. You need about 300 extra calories to make enough breastmilk. Most women (average height) need about 1800 calories daily to breastfeed & maintain a healthy weight.

Real dieting is going to get you a real serious lecture from your doctor most likely. Here are some tips to try to protect your milk supple while taking care of you too.

Make sure you are drinking tons of water. 5 liters daily. You can put a splash of juice in your water for flavor. No coffee, tea, or sodas.

Try to eat 50% raw. Salads, nuts, fruits, sprouts, etc. You'll feel fuller longer, get more vitamins & minerals into your milk, & consume more weight of food with fewer calories. For example, a raw veggie salad with evoo and lemon juice that weights 1 lb has about 200 calories. A 1/4 lb burger? OMG- no comparison!

Stop eating wheat, bread, crackers, etc. Eat rice or potatoes instead. It'll change your daily calorie intake!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Also, try grazing instead of 3 big meals. Carry snacks, like a few almonds, some home made beef jerky, fruit. Your blood sugar will be more stable and you'll feel better. Your stomach will shrink over time. That way you won't gorge yourself. careful around the holidays. You just have to say no.

Exercising daily will do more for you than any diet plan.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Breastfeeding and eating right will do more for you than anything you can think of. Just make sure that you get enough fluids. I drank water until I thought that I would explode, but it still wasn't enough. Just eat right and get a little exercise b/c to much will affect your supply as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Eat superfoods, foods that are high in nutrition. If you go to google and type in superfoods you will get various lists.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• my favorite is a month long diet plan from http://www.americanbaby.com/babyweight It worked wonders for me!
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Weight Watcher's nursing moms program is awesome! I lost 45 pounds in about 5 months when I was breastfeeding my oldest son, and I never had any issues with my milk supply. It's easy to follow and doesn't leave you hungry. I just bought the at-home program, because I didn't want to go to meetings.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2009