How long do you let her cry it out?

My daughter has been absolutely HORRIBLE about naptime. She insists that we rock her to sleep. Once shes asleep, if she wakes up when we are laying her down, she screams and screams until someone rocks her again. Its a never ending cycle. We can spend HOURS everyday rocking her. How long do I let her cry it out in her crib before I go and get her? I cant keep rocking her during her naps, I have stuff to do around the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you started it and so you should rock her until she grows out of it or is big enough to understand....also crying it out is horrible, why ignore your child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Id say give it 10 mins and then dont pick her up, pat her back and talk to her with comforting words or sing to her if she likes it.

Thats what I did for my boys and then once they settled I would sit on the floor where they could see me and then I left the room once they were out.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I think CIO is cruel but if you choose to do it, I hear it should not be longer than 15 min. She just wants the comfort she gets from being close to you. I'm sure her bed is cold and lonely to her. I did my stuff around the house while my kids were up and playing in the same room with me. Little kids just don't like being alone. They feel abandoned.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Crying it out isn't a bad thing. If you feel that your child is old enough to CIO then let her do it. Mine CIO's until she goes to sleep sometimes. My LO is 16 mos and we started CIO when she was 5 mos. She self soothes in the middle of the night and at naps and only cries for about 5-10 mins and that is usually whining b/c she didn't want to lay down. If you want to stop rocking her then shorten the rocking and then put her down until you aren't rocking at all. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I recommend you get a baby sling or carrier. Pop your baby in the sling and go about your daily life. Studies show that babies in a sling cry less. You don't have to do all that rocking.

You can hold her for her naps. A baby should never cry it out. While I held my babies during naps I would watch TV or read. That was before home computers.

I watch my grandbaby several days a week. My son lost his job and is trying to find another. My grandson is 13 mo old and nursing. His mama had to go back to work when he was 10 mo old. The only way I can put my grandson to sleep without crying is watching James Blunt Youtube videos. Once he falls asleep I can watch TV shows like Bones on Fox on the computer or depending on how he is sitting on my lap I can use the keyboard. I would never try to lay him down. He has never been in a crib.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I can't let my kids CIO at all. It breaks my heart. I think it may break yours, because you're asking how to avoid it. So maybe CIO isn't the greatest for you (especially since if it bothers you, you'll be inconsistant about it).

Consistency is key for changing bad habits. Set up a good routine (maybe 2 stories before nap time) and then give her a big hug. Lay her down and sit there. If she gets up, give her another hug and lay her down. It may take a few days of being in her room while she falls asleep (without her napping) before it starts to work. But you have to stay consistent, consistent, consistent.

Then hopefully, you'll be able to stand by the doorway while she falls asleep....and then only for a few minutes, then you'll be able to leave right away. It really is a process and regardless, it's going to take a while (CIO or otherwise).

Good luck, hon.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 11:54 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• stuff to do around the house. that's funny. Well i say rock her. She's your baby. Rock her and relax your mind take that time to unwind and enjoy it. Hmm that sounds good right now rocking chair and rocking my baby. with some soothing music. That's way better then my crappy day at work!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i wouldnt let her cry it out eaither, but thats just me. i actually started just letting my daughter take a nap on the couch. she sits with me and twirls her hair until she falls asleep. then i get up and do what i want/need to do. i also know someone who would set up a big blanket and pillow on the floor in the living room (in case baby doesnt know how to get off a couch yet). its up to you. if you really want her in her crib, then id say rock her and put her down. then if she gets up, go over and calm her, tell her its nap time, but dont pick her up. stay in the room close by. do this a few days. that is what super nanny does. it seems to work.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I dont think that a lot of you understand. She refuses to take a nap unless I rock her the entire time. I cannot sit and rock her for 2 hours straight. No I dont not want to make her cry it out, but my options are limited. I give kudos to all of the moms who said to just continue rocking her, but if I did that, nothing would ever get done around here. When she is awake, she gets 100% of my attention and I do not worry about housework, but while she is sleeping is when I need to get at least somethings done.
    Anonymous

• i kind of understand. my daughter has never required alot of sleep. how old is she? my daughter has always done the housework with me. when she was little i would vacuum with her strapped to me. now she just chases me and the vacuum around. maybe just let her follow you around while you do the work, and tell her everything youre doing. eventually she'll get tired enough and pass out.

also, depending on her age, she may just not want to take a nap anymore at that time a day. again, i dont know the facts, but maybe she's down to only one nap. or maybe she wants to nap 5 hours after she wakes rather than three now that she's older.

it will work out. just do what you think is best for you and her both.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009