Do all Spina Bifida infants have to have a catheter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Health

• There is a test done that requires catherization to evaluate bladder function.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I am not sure about catheters in regards to infants with spina bifida; however, if you have a baby in diapers that needs to have urine collected, a catheter is not necessary. My daughter had a high fever at 11 months old, and her pediatrician collected urine on 3 different occasions, each time doing a catheter. i felt so bad for my daughter. i have now switched pediatricians, and again my daughter needed to have urine collected. Instead of "cathing" her, they just stuck a urine collection bag in her diaper. (its basically is just a plastic bag with adhesive foam on the top that sticks around her whole area.) it was painless, and we just waiting until she peed and then placed the urine collected in a container. It was so easy, and I am so angry my previous pediatrician never used this method. So just wanted to let other parents know that it does exist, bc i had no idea.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My son at 20 months still (very thankfully) does not have to be cathed.My sister growing up needed to be cathed from birth so it depends
    Anonymous