Obama declares swine flu emergency? What's the emergency plan that needed waivers

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has declared swine flu a "national emergency," the White House said Saturday, as the United States reels from millions of cases of infection and over 1,000 deaths.

The emergency declaration, signed by the president late Friday, enhances the ability of medical treatment facilities to handle a spike in influenza A(H1N1) patients by allowing them to implement emergency plans thanks to federal requirement waivers.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gbwnocWcdTKdngHRLmiqrc92UvSA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What about the "regular" flu year before last?

It killed thousands, as it does every year and I don't remember a national emergency being implemented?

Uhhhhh.........
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Seems every year there is a different flu strain that is deadly and epidemic and gonna kill bazillions and then it never seems to end up as horrible as they make it sound. Thats how I feel about this H1N1 flu too.

Every year thousands die by the "regular" flu, it should be tended to the same every year instead of naming some new strain thats even worse or whatever and making that the priority.

Thats how I see it anyway.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'm with Amaranth on this one!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Well, why don't you two go check out your local hospitals and see what the people who work there say? In LA hospitals are completely overwhelmed. In Portland they have prepped with Tents outside to triage patients. Good luck with your heads in the sand.
    Anonymous

• My head is not in the sand. I chose not to panic thats all.

My BIL is sick, he cant go to the drs cuz the office refuses to take patients because of the panic overload. They say "go to the hospital if it gets to where you are breathing funny", thats what they are being told.

I know my family and how we function normally...if something out of the ordinary happens we will go in but Im not about to freak out and go on some sort of kick because of the media or government or CDC or regular ole drs who cant seem to agree on anything including how bad it truly is.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I Keep hearing about all the people with the flu, I have not met anyone with the flu or even has had the flu.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• We're screwed.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I really don't understand WHY intelligent people thought the h1N1 warnings were untrue.
    I'm a critical care nurse and have seen first hand what H1N1 does. Hospitals are not equiped if this hits hard in the winter months.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009