is it okay to give just a card as a gift at a wedding/reception?

We are going to my cousins wedding, and we are financially straped. Is it okay, just to get a nice card for him and his new bride?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do what you can do. There is so much pressure at weddings to give give give! That's why I have been avoiding them lately and just sending a card, each wedding runs me about $200 at the end! I received a few gift cards at my reception and I didn't mind at all! They actually were nice because I could use them here and there at the different stores I usually go to.
    I'm sure others will be giving plenty.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• do you mean an empty card.....NOT a GIFT CARD? If you cannot afford a small gift, I wouldn't go! I'd take the money I would have spent on attire or getting there and give as a gift instead. Showing up for a "free meal" is in poor taste. Most couples are hoping to recover at least the cost of the meal--though you cannot come right out and ask for it!
    Anonymous

• Is this a close cousin? I wouldn't want anyone who was struggling to give me money. If you do how about just 10.00.
    Anonymous

• I went to my cousins wedding and bought her a small box of generic storage bowls for $5.
    This was a classy wedding and I didn't even have a money for a drink at the cash bar. The next day was the gift opening and all the other gifts were fancy and pricey. I thought she would be insulted by my cheap bowls.......She loved it!! and said she didn't have any and It all turned out well
    Anonymous

• We havn't seen them since christmas. We don't get paid till this friday, and I still have to get other things for my son for his party this week. I want to go just to show my support for them. I hate to not go, just because of money. We weren't sent a invitation, my aunt had just sent one to my parents. My aunt had called me months ago about it, it just came up so fast.
    Anonymous

• Weddings; baby showesr; birthdays; anniversarys; Christmas ....... etc are all about money/gifts. Give me, give me, give me.

Prove to me how much you care for me in money/gifts terms.

A friendship shouldn't carry a price tag. It should be there whether or not your give something.

Anonymous

• Ok, I just got married not even 2 weeks ago, and a few of our guests didnt even bring a card. I invited them to celebrate me and my husband getting married, NOT for a gift! Anybody who tells you that you have to bring a gift is just plain rude if you ask me!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• My first thought is that you should go. I'm like Anon 7:32 and invited our guests to celebrate our marriage and gifts were not expected. However after reading further, since you say you didn't get an invitation, I don't think you should go.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• give them a card maybe $10-20 stating that the gift will come in a few short days, get your camera handy or designate someone... and how about a photo book i think they go from $14 at walgreens and you can incorporate photos from childhood and of them meeting and together at there wedding i think would be a great touch and will take about an hour away from the kids to put together at the store.... good luck be creative
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:19 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yes....certainly if it's all you can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2009