Is this normal for my 10 day old son?

My son can sleep all through the day without a fuss. he will just wake shortly for a diaper change and to feed, he might stay up for a half hour here and there but no fuss. at night after 7pm it seems hes up every 1hr and half wet or poopy or starving or just wanting to be held but will be fussy and hard to put to sleep or put down...is this normal, ppl talk about babies having their days and nights confused, does my son or am I not making him happy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nope, You hit it right on the head. He has his days and nights messed up. He will eventually figure it out. Congrats on your son!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• don't worry ihe will get to normal sleeping mode soon.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 1:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i think u right with the days and nights. this is an old wise tale and it would be interesting if it actually worked. when ever we have a full moon or new moon try this. lay him on your lap and flip him from his feet counter clockwise into the air and then on his belly. 3 times in a row when u end u should have him on his belly. and with in 24-48 hours your son should have his days corrected. If you are willing to try and it works, please let me know i would be really interested to find out if it works...Any way if you don't good luck he should grow out of somethings just take time or just try forcing him to stay awake longer during the day.
    Nicole_06

Answer by Nicole_06 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 1 month old and she still has her days and nights confused i just try to keep it bright in the house during the day and at night time instead of turning bright lights on i keep the house dim so she is starting to get a hang of it.
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 4:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• his days and nights are mixed up that will change though... my daughter finally got it together at 3 mths. she use to sleep alot too..they havent adjusted to being outside if the womb yet
    Anonymous

• At night when you go to change/feed him, don't talk to him, don't talk loudly to your husband, stay quiet and don't turn any lights on. Keep a night light in the room that he's in so you're not running into things, but keep the night light away from where he is sleeping. Also, don't walk around with him. Don't carry him out while you make a bottle or get ready to breast feed. Let him in his crib/bassinet until you are ready to actually feed him. What I did with my son is I fed him first and only changed his diaper when he was just about finished with his bottle. After you've changed him, give him the rest of the bottle. Chances are he will be ready to sleep again. Remember to swaddle him at night and try to keep his arms free during the day. He will associate not being snuggled to daytime and play time. (FYI - thermal blankets are the best for swaddling...they stretch. Hope this helps! Congrats on your new addition!!
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It is very common for infants to have their days and nights turned around. The main reason is because they take more naps then an older baby and it's common for them to take more during the day then at night. There are ways for you to turn this around and most babies take to it pretty naturally. One way is to introduce tummy time if you haven't already, or try playing with him to keep him awake longer during the day. This will help him need more sleep as the day gets later and may help him turn his days and nights around. It is common for babies to be night owls though and some babies are very needy at night when others are more needy during the day. Also talk with your pedi and see if your child might need a suppliment of cereal in their bottle. Some babies who wake up as often as your son aren't getting enough food from formula/breast milk alone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009