what would you do

My son is 3.5. He developed what I believe was a sinus infection and cough last monday. The sinus infection seems to have moved into his lungs, because the cough has become progressively worse, and he now has times when he can't catch his breath and I think he's going to vomit from coughing. His pediatrician does have saturday hours but because of the stupid swine flu will not see my son unless he has a fever higher then 103, his has only topped out at 101. I'm NOT concerned he has swine flu, I'm more worried its bronchitis or pneumonia. I'm NOT taking him to the er, he's not dying and I'm not one to panic over every little thing. My question is would you wait it out until either the fever became higher or he got better, or would you suggest I try the local urgent care. My son gets a bad cough every fall and I can't decide whether this is a meh cough or something of concern. What would you do?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's probably viral. If it's bacterial usually the fever is higher (not always). Of course antibiotics don't work on viral infections. Antibiotics would be the main reason to seek care and he probably doesn't need them.

Doctors are now recommending the Neti pot. You probably can't get him to do that. There is a mist product called SinuCleanse for kids for their sinuses. I would try that or another saline product.

I wouldn't give him anything for the fever. The body increases temp to fight infection. I wouldn't give him anything for cough. You want him to cough up whats in his lungs. I wouldn't use Vicks.

I wouldn't let him out in public so he doesn't get a bacterial infecton or the flu.

You might try Benedryl and see if it is allergy related and it will help him sleep.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would go to a health food type grocery store and get him some chewable vitamin C, Badger Sleep Balm, fruit juice (non fake stuff) ice pops, juice popscicles, and other healthy things he might eat. They might have the nasal saline stuff too.

If the air is dry you might use a humidifier. Make sure it is very clean. If he gets real stuffed up put him in a normal temp shower. The hot steamy bathroom cure can actually make sinuses worse.

Since he gets a cough every fall he may have seasonal allergies. Allergy testing is very easy now and only takes 15 minutes. It would probably be a good idea to have him tested. My DIL had a cold and went to an urgent care center and they did allergy testing on her. She wasn't allergic to anything! I can't imagine not being allergic to anything.

I have 3 sons and 1 grandson. I've taken care of sick kids way too many times.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• He has a fever, coughing to the point of vomitting? He could have pnemonia and need antibiotics. He may not be dying, put he needs to be seen. Take him to the ER or walk in/urgent care clinic and get him looked at. If he does have pnemonia and you don't do anything, you will have a much bigger problem on your hands.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Gailll: thanks for your response. He actually has a ton of allergies, both food and seasonal, some life threatening so he's prescribed an epipen. I've been sending him to preschool all week on claritin (sp?) because it seemed to help enough that he wasn't sneezing and congested constantly, but its not helping with the cough. My aunt who's a nurse also recommended the steam and humidifier so were going to try that route and see what happens.

Tyfry7496: I don't think he has pneumonia. After I asked on here I talked to my aunt and he's not wheezing which is what you typically hear in children with pneumonia. I don't want to go to the er since he's not extremely sick and chances are he'll get worse waiting in the waiting room, but I am going to go to the urgent care on Monday if he hasn't improved or has since worsened. But thank you for your response!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2009