What kind of care do you need to give to a circumsized penis?

I'm due with a boy any day now, and I'm wondering what I can expect as far as caring for his circumcision? I know I'll hear it from his ped. but I just want a little insight before hand because I'm curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Please don't do it. Let him decide as an adult if he wants his genitals mutilated.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Oh... Okay. I won't then.
    Anonymous

• I would def get it done. Are they using the ring or the reg cutting way. if you use the ring you dont need to do anything. it will just fall off. if you get it the reg way just use vasaline and reapply when you change him. It will heal the vaseline protects it and helps it heal. it will be sensative but you'll be happy you did it. Why make him wait till he is older. I would never do that to my kids. I have 3 boys i used the ring with 2 and my last one they did it the cut way. I prefer the ring it looked less painful. google both ways and you decide.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• http://www.cirp.org/library/procedure/plastibell/ this is the info.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• OH dear god, do not listen to Gailll....it is NOT mutilation...my FIL was NOT circ'ed and had to be at 14 because he did not properly care for his uncircumsized penis and said that he would NEVER want a person to go through what he did at that age, and so we circumsized our boys when they were days old.

So when you have your boy, they will send you home with gauze pads and what amounts to either petroleum jelly or antibiotic cream and you will have to put it on the gauze pad and then on his little penis inside his diaper, so that his penis doesn't stick to his diaper. It will heal in a week or two and should be fine. No other extra care is necessary (especially since you are not suppose to give baby a real bath before the umbilical cord stump falls off) It will be red for a few days, but that will go away too as it heals. Just keep it coated with the petroleum and change it EVERY diaper change, which will be often! GL!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• For heavens sake, just don't ask anyone here. LOL. I would ask your doctor.
    But you know when they do it,there will be a nurse or someone at the hospital who will instruct you how to take care of it. It takes a little time for it to heal but you will be glad they did it. Good luck and happy baby!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Bwahahahaa! Mutilated?
    It is about as bad as having many piercings and you know how many women at CM describe their multiple piercings and nobody gives them, a hard time about that!!!!! ;-)
    Anonymous

• ANYWAY- to answer the actual question:

The doctor will probably provide you with gauze strips that are infused with Vaseline. You'll pull down on the penis (GENTLY) and wrap the gauze around the tip. Apply a fresh one at each diaper change for a few days. After that you'll just need to apply Vaseline directly to the penis by again gently pulling back. It heals rather quickly and there isn't a whole lot more to it than that.

Make your own choice about whether to or not to do it. Don't let any fanatic on either side pressure you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It will be wrapped in gauze. You will put neosporin/vaseline on it at every change for the first week I think it was(or close to it). This keeps it from sticking to the diaper.

Just follow the drs directions and all will be fine. Its really not as bad as it seems and they dont pay it much mind(mine never did anyway nor any other boys whose mothers I talked to).

It will be red for a day or two but as beckcorc said, it heals quickly.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It depends on which kind of circumcision is done. With the gauze type, you will have to apply Vaseline. My kids both had a plastibell, which requires no care at all. I just left it alone and rinsed it off if poop got on it. It fell off on the 4th or 5th day, fully healed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2009