Do you give to the "homeless?"

today a guy told me that he was trying to collect some money for the bus so I gave him all I had, which was a twenty and I got his name so that I could pray for him (his name is Richard in case anyone else would like to pray fo him)

it didn't hurt me at all to give him twenty dollars but I really felt he could use it...he almost cried when I gave it to him.

I am not the judge- don't know if he really needed it or not...I would have just felt bad knowing that I had it, if I didn't give it to him.

the only part that freaked me out was that he huged me and kissed my cheek

anyway, just wondering if anyone else gives to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I was a teenager I ran away from home a lot. I would be gone for months on end. It was heartbreaking for my mother. She used to go in my room and cry. I always wore a back pack with a few things in it. She knew that backpack was everything for me. So today she has a little project going called Stephani's Backpack. She packs backpacks with a small Bible, underwear, tampons, deodorant, clean clothes, $10 and other things a homeless woman would need. She goes to help feed the homeless and she hands them out to the homeless women there.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I will give food to people on the street. I figure if they are hungry that is what they could use. I don't give money, to many negative uses for that. Plus if the person wanted off there street there are hundreds of programs and they should help themselves when they are ready.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• last time i gave to a homeless i was freked out,first mistake i stopped at the hood to get gas at night,second when im pumping gas he asks me for money,so all i say was "yes,ill give you a dollar but you need to step back or i wont cause your scaring me,"brave teen i was i, guess but he listened.i really dont cause people can always do something,if i see your picking up cans and stuff like that i think you are trying,they can also go to labor ready if they that desperate,i understand times are getting hard but standing around wont get me to give you anything,when people i know personally are in need ill buy them food but people idk could be getting high or drunk with that money so i dont do it. I really felt bad for that one guy that robbed a girl and ended up praying with her and said "im gonna be homeless next month,i have no choice" stuff like that breaks my heart,but how can we know when its real?
    Anonymous

• Yes I have gave to the homeless many of times and God will bless u for doing so.. I know he blessed me :).. I also will pray for him and hope GOd will help him and lead him in the way he needs to go...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Sometimes I do and sometimes I dont. Depends on what I have and how they approach me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes. I dont care what they are going to do with it, I will still help them out. I used to hang around the homeless people in my city as a teenager.. amazing stories.
    Anonymous

• I do. I give dollar bills and spare change to those asking when we go to downtown Cleveland and I donate canned and boxed food to the food bank. I buy groceries specifically TO donate.
    Anonymous

• I've been homeless. I've never begged for money. I just didn't eat or ate little. My youngest son and I have been homeless 4 times. For 3 of the times we had a tent. This last time was recent and I found a place to sleep but my son had to sleep in our van.

I'm disabled and can't work. He has always had at least a part time job when we have been homeless. For 3 of the times he got a free meal at work. He started working when he was 15 to help us survive.

What's strange is when people have known we are homeless, people my son works with ect, no one has given us anything. Not even food. I couldn't sleep in the tent well and I would sleep in a park across from the hospital during the day while my son worked. I had a big lab mix service dog. It turned out to be a good idea. One day I got so sick from exposure I had to be admitted to the hospital.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i do. when i was pregnant we didnt have a car so i always walked to the grocery store and this one homeless man who has been homeless for quite sometime would always help me carry my groceries home from the store. he was a very nice man probably in his 60's. i always gave him lunch or a soda when he'd help me.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Always help out when I can. There are not many homeless where we live it is very cold here. We lived about 7 miles from a tent city in California and it was very sad. This place had been full for a long time way before the economic downturn. Most worked they used the address of the tent city. They could not afford the 2000 a month rent for a rat hole apartment or the 600k for a crappy house. One guy made 50k a year but because he had been evicted after a job loss he could not rent anywhere. He also at that amount could not afford the 2000k a month for a studio apartment after taxes and his unions dues. It was sad these were not welfare cases but working families. I would do all I could to help them find housing and get out of the tent city. I also helped with the menally ill there since so many are mentally ill and simply need a doctor and the right meds. We all need to help.
    Anonymous