Pagans: What do you believe and what led you to believe it?

I don't have much understanding of what pagans believe--I always thought it either meant you weren't religious but weren't atheist. But lately I am hearing a lot of different things and I am just curious. What exactly is the believe that unites pagans and I am also curious as to what leads people into this religion and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pagan is simply an umbrella term used to "name" those who are not Muslim, Jewish, or Christian.

Its an individual path which is why you see so much variance in beliefs and styles,etc. Many, if not most, rever nature in one way or another. Many believe in a God and Goddess vs just a God or none at all.

Really depends on the person what path they follow and beliefs they hold on that path.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• What do you believe and what led you to believe it?

I believe in The Universe. (which essentially means that i believe in ONE power) I choose to view It as a God and Goddess.
    I always believed this, i was not "led" to it.

What exactly is the believe that unites pagans and I am also curious as to what leads people into this religion and why?
    What unites Pagans is the fact that MOST of us are Neo-Pagans. Which means that we do not fall under the category of Christian, Jewish or Muslim (the God of Abraham) and Neo-Pagans are usually nature based.

But there are several different kinds of Pagans. Here on CM and in most places in America when one says Pagan they mean Neo-Pagan.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Neopaganism is what most modern Americans mean when they refer to paganism. It is a general term for a variety of religions that reconstruct pre-monotheistic Western or Middle Eastern religions. Wicca was one of the earliest of these movements to gain followers. The Neopagan movement has also been strongly influenced by ceremonial magic -practices originating in the Middle Ages (or perhaps earlier) that are not specific to any one religion & Eastern religions. Since most pre-monotheistic religions were bound to agriculture & hunting, reverence for the natural world was a significant part of those religions & thus a part of the reconstructions of those religions. This is not however universal to all Neopagan religions. Paganism also refers to the ancient religions & a few existing religions that are not reconstructions like Hinduism.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• The term pagan has also been used in the past in a way similar to the terms "heathen," "infidel," "barbarian," "heretic" (etc) to mean anyone not following the primary religion of a region. In modern America this is a somewhat outdated usage, as Paganism often refers to a specific (if large) set of beliefs & religions. So when someone now tells you they are Pagan you should assume they mean one of the reconstructionist religions, not just Non-Christian, unless they explain otherwise.
    Personally I believe that there are many gods, all are manifestations of universal energy, that energy also pervades everything in existence, thus all natural things are sacred & divine. I believe in reincarnation & magic. What led me to these beliefs was an extensive study of religion, philosophy & mythology, as well as a lot of personal contemplation & reasoning.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• http://www.friggasweb.org/articles.html

http://thetroth.org/

And here's where you start running into that umbrella term problem.  I am lumped in with Pagans whether I want to be or not.  The vast majority of the tenets of my faith are alien to those of most neopagan religions.  Even the aspects that deal with nature are only barely similar to noepagans, and it's hardly a crunchy granola type of faith.  In many cases, neopaganism and heathenry are at odds, but by virtue of not being Christian, Jewish or Muslim, we are all part of the same "religion" to the eyes of those looking in (or those on the inside wishing to pad their numbers).

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Though people will call anyone in this day and age a "Neo Pagan", it is simply not true for some people. Many people have been Pagan their whole lives, as their beliefs were passed from generation to generation. Now, a person who is NEW to Pganism can rightly be called a Neo-Pagan.
    There is nothing "new" about following traditions of old.

I was not led to Paganism. As far as what I believe, I posted that in another thread.

My Beliefs

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009