How many times a day should I give my 7 month old preemie jar food?

My daughter will be 7 months on the 27th. I am exclusively breastfeeding her and I started giving her jar food at 4 months. She is doing great with the jar food. She mainly just eats fruits. Normally I give her 2 or 3 jars a day. But my sister and close friend tell me to feed her more bc she is only 11.6 lbs. I'm worried about overfeeding. Any suggestions would help....Thanks!

Luvmy1

Asked by Luvmy1 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as a side note: EBF mean NOTHING but breast milk... so you stopped EBF at 4 months when you introduced solids...

to answer the ?... your babies MAIN nutrition should come from breast milk or formula the solids are to help her learn how to eat... she mainly needs the milk. mine is ALSO 7 mos and i mainly bf also- i started 1 jar of baby food at 6 mos and he ONLY gets it about 1 every other day at night. (b/c i forget, lol)

mine is about 17-18 lbs HOWEVER all babies are diff and yours just might be a petite one :)... so long as she has about 6 wet/ poopie diapers per day she is ok :)
    Anonymous

• None! She can eat regular food. You don't need to waste your money on commercial baby food that is inferior to food you can easily give her yourself. Commercial baby food is highly processed, usually tastes bad, and is bad for the environment.

For great info on feeding babies go to www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i agree less jared foods and more grains rice oatmeals barley something to fatten her up at 11pd 7mo u have nothing to worry about overfeeding...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i agree w all the above... main source from breast/ formula and you can make your own baby food (or use jared baby food) to help learn...
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• you should keep breast feeding along wit giving her jar food. my daughter is 18 pds @ 4 mths i exclusively breast feed her. so more jar food would be a good idea but as always talk to your pediatrician first :")
    Anonymous

• I would try supplementing with formula. My son packed on the pounds when I did.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• When your child starts eating solid foods (Pureed foods are considered solids) you should only use breastmilk/formula as a drink rather then a meal. Your child should dictate her eating schedule, as it is when they are hungry that they need to eat. My son started on solids when he was four months old. He didn't take to them right away, so we waited about a month and then tried again. When he finally took to solids as a full meal he was eating 3-4 times a day depending on how much he required that day. He started off on the smallest, but quickly went to stage two as he required more food. Again, your baby should dictate how much she wants/needs to eat. She will tell you when she's hungry and how much she wants. When you start feeding the baby solids you should only use BM or Formula as a suppliment or drink. As it is no longer the main nutrician for the baby.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• "When you start feeding the baby solids you should only use BM or Formula as a suppliment or drink".. Jazz

Here is some helpful info: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html#nutrition

...Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids. ....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2009