Does a true christain turn their back on family?

My husband has a niece that feels she is above everybody else because she goes to church and home schools.
When her husband told me they saw some family at a high school football game she refused to go and talk to them.
I felt this was cold and the kicker is her son was playing on one team and on the other team was a cousin of his....they don't even know eachother exist!
I always felt if you have Jesus in your heart then you should love your family and make sure all family knows and loves eachother.
How do you love Jesus for whom you cannot see yet turn your back on a family member that you can see?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The family could have come and talked to her.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• They didn't see her there at the game.....
    Anonymous

• That is sad, christian or not. It is self righteous. And she could have been a bigger person, and extended her heart to extend a hand to them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Not over petty things like that.

In the Bible when Abraham left his father because his father tried to have him killed - yeah.... that would be good reason.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• She may be shy. She may not have seen them. She may have had a good reason. It's not your place to judge.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I suspect you know the answer to this and that this is more a vent than a question. This person is rude. They would be rude if they were any other faith or any other circumstance. Unfortunately she reflects badly on other Christians.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have cut out family members. Some for more than 15 years. I do not know this person's story so I am not going to say if she is right or wrong. I will tell you, for the sake of my health (both physically and mentally) I had to cut out people on both sides of the family tree.

Recently I was told what one person said about me. Of course I am 100% of the problem in their eyes. Stories of past incidences came up. It was painted as if I was a monstrous devil fighting golden angels. I refuse to involve the entire family and have not told them my version of the truth.

You may not know everything, and you certainly don't know what is going on in this person's head. Sometimes we have to step back and pray. It is often hard to understand why someone does what they do. I can understand that. In this situation, you don't have much control.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Maybe you should refer her to this verse. It was the first thing that came to my mind when reading your post:

I John Chapter 4 Verses 20-21

20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
    21 And this commandment have we from him, that he who loveth God love his brother also.

Then you pray for her.
    Anonymous

• I would sit down and talk to her about the behavior.. ask her why she did it and explain to her what the bible says about how we treat others as Christians. She may just need some guidence and what better way to teach her how to be a loving Christian that walks in the power of His Love and Grace.
    If she doesnt recieve it then all you can do is let it go into Father's hands and pray for her, pray for her heart to line up with His and speak blessings over her!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• By stating what she feels and why she feels that way, you have just judged her. That's really what judging is--assigning thoughts and feelings to others that we really cannot possibly know. So in God's eyes, whatever she did is no worse than what you just did. Sin is sin to God, and unfortunately, it's something that all of us do. And please remember that there may be more to this story than you know about.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2009