Eletrolyte Imbalance or early Diabeties

Since I had my second child almost two years ago I have stuggled with thirst. I mean I drink over 24oc of water and natural juice a day, plus milk. I don't eat a lot of salty foods. Yet I often wake up with dry mouth. My lips are not chapped and everything else seems fine. I am just thirsty a lot, no matter how much I drink. If I drink a glass of gatoraid it helps for about a week then it starts agian. Could this be early warning sign of diabeties or an eletrolyte inbalance. I am going to see the doctor in Dec. just courious?

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 1:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Health

• I am diabetic, and have been for 14 years now, and it really sounds like prediabetes to me. Symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed were: excessive thirst, dry mouth/cotton mouth, I had to pee much more often than usual, I was tired, had some unusual mood swings, and even my vision would come and go. One day it would be great, and the next it would be as if my prescription was slightly off. Diabetes is a very difficult disease to live with, and I don't wish it on anyone, but if it turns out that this is what you have going on, please take it seriously from the get go and get as much support as you can. You're not alone. :0)
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I myself had the same symptoms that you are describing and eventually found out that I was diabetiic. I could not get enough water. I also do not use any extra salt and don't salt my food. Do you know anyone that has a blood glucose meter? You could have them check it the morning when you get up and see what it registers. ( of course use care when you do this for example when you prick your finger use a fresh needle in the pen) The range your result should be in depends on the doctor but mine is supposed to be between 98-132. I am not in the health care profession but have learned a lot about diabeties since I was diagnosed. It is good that you are going to the doctor though.
    VicMo

Answer by VicMo at 2:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You can be thirsty and not have anything wrong. What is 24oc? Do you mean ounces? If you drink 24 ounces of water and juice a day that's not enough. It used to be recommended that you drink 8 8 ounce glasses of water, so that would be 64 ounces a day. Now they say you don't have to drink that much.

It's strange you think a glass of Gatoraid helps for a week. The G2 drink has less sugar. Maybe you should drink one glass of that every day.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Simple thirst itself is not necessarily indicative of diabetes. Sure, you can check if you want, it isn't hard to do, but more likely you are deficient in some minerals like Vitamin E that keep your mucus membranes moist and fresh, and you honestly aren't drinking enough water. 40-60 oz is recommended depending on weight and height. Take a mulitvitamin that has Vitamin E in a big dose, and drink more water, and see how you feel after a week or so, if your blood sugar test comes back normal. Which, my guess is it will, since you didn't mention anything like frequent urination, high blood pressure, weight gain, sugar cravings, or any of the other more surefire diabetes symptoms.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You should be drinking 64 oz of water a day. It sounds like you are a bit dehydrated.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I agree w/the pps and wanted to add that there may not be enough humidity in your home. If you home is dry, then the dry air around you will also dry your tissues out, so check the humidity levels in your home, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I guess I should add that I am hypoglycemic. I grave sugar when ever my blood sugar drops and have mood swings if I am not careful. I have to eat at lest 15 grams of protein a day and watch how much sugar I eat, causeI would be wearing it.  And have frequent meals.  As far as the peeing I recently had surgery to quite leaking so I am not sure how much is normal there. Thank you all for your great answers. I will check and see if my vitamins have Vitamin E in it, and talk to my doc when I see her next month.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2009