Pagans....

Do you feel like the Christians do, in terms of Christmas being taken by them? Do you feel like the Christians tried to take your beliefs away from you? Or are you comfortable with sharing aspects of Paganism with the Christian concept of christmas?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't feel that Christmas was "stolen." I think all cultures & religions borrow from one another. I only resent when followers of Christianity try to claim it as just theirs or assume that the mass for Christ is the only winter holiday that matters.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• There are so many reasons to be upset with Christians - the mass rape and slaughter of our ancestors until they said they'd convert, forcing them to practice their religion and traditions behind closed doors like criminals, starting a war against Islam based on lies which is still going on today, a 1000 years later.

In the grand scheme of things, being upset about them changing a few names of things about Yule and pretending it's their own is pretty trivial. And besides, they've made some pretty songs. Aaron Neville's Ave Maria is awesome.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have to agree with you NP. The horrors commited in the name of Christianity is astounding and horrible.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I grew up Christian, I didnt know Pagan was a religious anything til about 5 yrs ago. So I never thought of Christmas as anymore than the celebration of Christs birth in churches(and some homes)...and yes, I realize and always believed he wasnt actually born then, as well as celebrating Santa and the concept of giving to others.

I dont see it as stolen or taken over, I can see why people feel that way but I do not.

I see it as a time for family togetherness and enjoying a time to give and just enjoy company and good stories and food. Be it celebrated as the birth of Christ or the solstice,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking. Plus, I try to look at it this way: We Pagans have some pretty kick ass holidays and whatnot, of course people are going to want to use them. ;P
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• "Do you feel like the Christians do, in terms of Christmas being taken by them? Do you feel like the Christians tried to take your beliefs away from you? Or are you comfortable with sharing aspects of Paganism with the Christian concept of christmas?"

It's not about "stealing".. it's cultures mixing. Although there are a lot of ugliness in the past... we should ALL learn from the past, and rather than war.. just accept the past, and learn from it. Celebrate the holidays, not just for religious reasons but for cultural reasons.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have to agree with NP on this.

The only thing that does bother me about Christmas and Christians is when a Christian really believes it is all about Jesus and tries to argue with me about it without having any thing to back it up.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't care either way. It's getting to the point where it's just another day to me. I have pretty much no reason to celebrate anything on that day so you know, I just don't care. IF we do anything to celebrate however, we keep it to it's true paganistic (is that even a word?? LOL) form and meaning.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009