church classes/service/gatherings ect... and no cell phones allowed.

I spent the morning at a training class to start teaching R.E. at our church. We had the class in the church basement. I know we were not actaully IN the church but we were gathered as our church community. I feel we, the people make up the church. I took my seat and turned off my cell phone. Others entered the room and did that same. I talked to others in the room and even made a new friend. One person left their phone on and it rang a few times in class. She even took a phone call while the teacher was talking.

I am starting to think during Church functions cellphones should be left in the car. I have heard phones vibrate in church. Once during a baptism a cellphone rang.

How do the rest of you feel? Have you heard cell phones in church?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 2:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think at any gathering, regardless of it's location, it should be on silent at the very least.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• They should not be there, or should be on silent. We've heard phones ring during Mass before a few times, that's not the time or place for them.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have mine on vibrate and I do text sometimes to let people on facebook know what God is doing !
    Im not the only one that does this. We live in a media age now and not everyone can attend church so its fun to let them know whats going on but I dont like text during the sermon for the most part! or worship.. but I share whats happened after. We have people that use the phone to take pics .
    You have to understand.. our church isnt a relgious church but a church that flows in the Spirit. I take my camera to take pictures for facebook and such. We are allowed to use our gifts and mine is in the arts so yeah.. some religious people would get offended attending our church but Love is the foundation that has been layed there.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have only attended church maybe 3 times in the past 6 years but the times I have been I have always put my cellphone on vibrate but not gonna lie.. last time I went was to see my friend preach and I did text quite a lot during this time because to me it's boring (I'm not a Christian, sue me!)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• We are asked to turn them off at our church, and yes, every now and then I will hear one ring during services. I think it is a distraction to the one who is speaking and to those who are listening. I have noticed lately that doctors' offices and many other places have posted signs asking that cell phones be turned off while in the building. I think the key thing is to never allow them to be a distraction nor a hindrance to anyone else. Just using common courtesy would solve most of the problems associated with cell phones.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• In church we should be focused on worship. Perhaps a sermon that seems boring might actually carry a message that we can benefit by.

I attended a lecture by a guest professor last year. It was a small group attending, reservations only. And one person's phone rang three different times during the lecture. It was embarrassing for the others attending.

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Out of respect for God and His Word, I always turn my phone off....no vibrate, as it makes noise and may accidentally disturb others. I have on occasion heard phones ring in all sorts of different types of loud and racy ring tones during actual church service. My Pastor always makes a joke of it and says immediately.....Is that Jesus? If so, I would love to talk to him. One time I actually heard a man answer his phone during service and hold a conversation without even leaving the sanctuary. I felt that was extremely rude myself.
    Anonymous

• There is a time and place for cell phones to be turned off, not only at church but countless other places too. Someone taking a call while a teacher or guest speaker is talking is rude no matter where you are.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 2:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I think it is rude and distracting.  I go to a church with 3000 people if everyone left thier phones on and texted during service it would be loud.  I do share our churches message afterwards.  They video record the whole service and I link it to my facebook.  I love technology but don't feel it should stop me from listening and feeling the spirit.  I know the Holy Spirit is not living in my phone so I don't want to take away from that.  Someones loud ringing phone could distract someone enough they miss out on something that could change their life.  Self absorbtions does not belong in church. 

Anonymous

• I think if someone has to have their phone on because of something like being on call for work - then the polite thing is to keep it on vibrate, and slip out of the room to take the call.

If there's no real need to have it on - then turn it off or turn it to silent.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2009