Has anyone else heard about this?

I got in email the other day. Something about non-believers tring to have all church services shown on tv taken off the air, and that all christmas carols song in schools to be removed. Has anyone else recived this email or have heard about this being true.

Jacqalyn

Asked by Jacqalyn at 2:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Things like that circulate every year around the holidays, it is made up just to get people upset & encourage animosity.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you got it in an e-mail, it is most likely a chain letter trying to discredit nonbelievers. I guarantee you, the majority of non-Christian people could care less if if church services are shown on TV. I personally really like Christmas carols, even the religious ones. While there are some more active and militant atheist groups out there (and I do see where they're coming from in a sense), most of us really don't care enough to fight against it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Oh, I'm sure it is true. Anyone who disagrees with any other religion always has to throw a fit when there is an expression of it in public. But the airwaves are free, and Christmas is also a secular holiday (most schools don't sing the religious carols any more).

By the same token, though, Christians would probably be upset if we were braodcasting moon ceremonies on TV and hanging up Solstace decorations all over town. I guess it evens out.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Not received anything nor heard anything about it.

I find that silly cuz even as a former Christian I still enjoy hearing traditional Christmas songs even if they have religious tones to them.

Only church services Ive seen on the tv are on religious channels not main ones so I could care less if they are on or not.

But thats my thought on the subject.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• no.. haven't heard of it.. and I'm an "non-believer".. personally, I don't care if they air or not... they are only on a select few stations, and I just choose not to watch them. There are plenty of other channels to watch.. as for the christmas carols.. there are plenty of them out there, that are not religions in any way shape or form, that I'm sure the school could work at trying to play those songs. so no one can really be offended (personally I'm not, but I can see where A LOT of other religions could be, like JW"S, etc).. for example.. "dreaming of a white Christmas".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• To me it is a remind of the old "Divide and Conquer" theory. It is easier to turn people against each other when pointing out their differences, instead of focusing on their many similarities.
    Anonymous

• opps.. that songs isn't a great example.. lmao.. jingle bells isn't really religious though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I normally don't open my chain letters or spam
    Anonymous

• The problem is that there are people who can't wrap their heads around the concept that 'Freedom of Religion' is for everyone, regardless of their own individual beliefs. There are also individuals that can't quite grasp that 'Freedom of Religion' means that everyone is supposed to be free to practice their beliefs. Some have a problem understanding that it doesn't mean one has a right to force others to hide their beliefs to cater to someone else's (ie freedom FROM religion). And, there are some who don't WANT to understand that allowing everyone to practice theirs in no way 'endorses' any one particular religion (unless others are prohibited!).

There are Christians who would complain about Wiccan/Pagan programming. But most tv is secular and they have to live with that. I think Christmas should be dumped from the holiday list. Let those who celebrate it have the paid holiday and let everyone else work/whatever.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• anon 1500- ditto

but on the topic... i could really care less, since i do not own an idiot box.

songs in school- well, we had that issue with some highly religious x-mas songs being performed in a public school. every one got ruffled when the performance was altered to exclude the offensive materials. like it should have been to begin with. religion has no place in public education. my opinion though, and not very important.
    i don't have any personal grudge in regards to singing about imaginary friends like santa. even though my kids don't believe in him. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2009