HELP!!! Potti problems (Maybe TMI)

My 3 year old daughter is pretty much most of the way potti trained. But for some odd reason she is all a sudden afraid to go #2 on the potti. So now she holds it in and by time she does go its big and hard. Any and all advice and suggestions welcome. Thanks!!!

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try using a rectal suppository for kids. It will stimulate her to go, so she can't hold it in. Just make sure that she's near the potty for at least an hour after you use it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• okay first of all i know how frustrating this is i battaled this for months with my four year old son! we ended up going to his ped and getting miralax to mix in his juice to keep it soft and regular. he doesnt need it anymore and goes just fine now but its a struggle and he was eating a ton of fiber etc he was just doing it, self constipating its actually more commen then people think in toddlers and can be for a lot of different reasons. good luck!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• its actually more commen then people think in toddlers and can be for a lot of different reasons

This is extremely true, many children actually have a fear of going poop in the potty. My son would also hold it when he was potty training and when he finally would go would hide in a corner under the table and go in his pants. He was fully aware what he was doing, and wasn't being defiant. He truly had a fear of pooping in the potty. As bizzare as this sounds his pediatrician said many children for whatever reason have no issue peeing in a toilet but when it comes to the other they feel as though they're loosing a part of themselves and the scary toilet is what's taking it away. For my son it was as simple as showing him the toilet isn't scary, its ok to poop there, and lots and lots of positive praise and sticker charts for when he did go. I made up a silly story about the poop monster (no joke) who would tickle cont.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• kids until they couldn't laugh anymore for pooping in their pants, but in order to escape this horrible tickle monster all the children had to poop in the potty. Then the monster would be flushed away and all the children in the land would be saved. Lamest story I ever told however I remember the first time my son pooped in the potty by himself he excitedly exclaimed he had saved all the children from the mean scary tickle monster, so for whatever reason it worked. If nothing else you could try something like this before something as invasive as a laxative.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My son did the exact same thing! We dealt with it the best we could! It was hard at first, but we had to try to explain to him that it would hurt him not to go and also we would catch him sitting and holding it in and take him in to the potty and encourage him to go. I was constantly washing poopy underwear and it was irritating, but he did grow out of it. I think they dont like going because it takes longer than peeing and also requires a more extensive wipe. But try encouraging her and offering rewards for going poop and see how that works!
    youngmom20

Answer by youngmom20 at 1:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2009