What do you buy a toddler for Christmas that doesn't play with any of his toys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Holidays

• Focus on what he does like. Craft supplies if he enjoys making things or just getting messy with paint. If he likes climbing through things you could make a cardboard box tunnel decorated with paper and taped together with colored duck tape. You could buy gift cards or memberships to his favorite places like Chucky Cheese, the Zoo, Children's Museum. Of course a gift card is boring but he'll understand when you are actually going to these places and he'll be super excited. Get out of the ordinary "toys under the tree" box and cater to what he absolutely loves!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Don't go to expensive. and think of what he kind of shows interest in and go from there. My son shows interest in something for ten minutes. lol. He likes the packaging best. Of course he can't have that though. What about toy trucks? or something that plays music?
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If my toddler was not playing with ANY of his toys i would be very concerned. Have you brought this up with his doctor?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• OP- I guess he plays with some. The cars and anything he can put things inside of. But he prefers ripping up paper, or playing with spoons or straws. Anything that is not a toy really.
    Anonymous

• does he like being read to? buy some picture books...does he like a certain tv show or movie? my son loves thomas and friends and we only have 1 dvd so I'm getting him a new one, maybe 2.... does he like to color? washable crayons and drawing paper would be fun! if he likes to sit and draw, maybe get him an easel desk.....when you say "anything he can put things inside of" maybe he'd like one of those huge bins of duplo legos. the container would be fun to store things in and you get a bunch of legos with it! or maybe a "tool box" if he likes to bang the spoons, he might like some pretend hammers and nails, plus he can store stuff in the box.... if he likes to rip up paper, maybe he'd you could get a fun family craft kit (they have cool foam kits at michaels)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• if he likes sticking straws back in bottles or whatever, maybe one of those put-the-shape-in-the-right-hole puzzles would be fun
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• 2 ideas - first, so that he has something tangible under the tree, get him an activity like duplos or something else that involves putting in.putting together.taking apart since you say he likes to do that. Second, get something like swim or gym lessons, membership to a zoo or children's museum, parent child class at the local community college,. . . . My kids LOVE toys, but these are still the things we request from the grandparents so that they aren't overloaded with STUFF. :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I always get my boys these roll on paints for the bath as a stocking stuffer. It looks like roll on deodorant but its paint. And LOTS of fun! You can get some at www.youravon.com/rebekahmiller there only $1.99 and if you use the code FSANY at check out shipping is free. No matter what the size of the order. GL :)

beka03

Answer by beka03 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2009