at what age would you/did you let your daughter start shaving?

Dh and I are arguing about this. He thinks that DD should be 12-13 before she starts shaving. My mom tought me at the age of 7 (i was a very hairy kid tho)

mommy-

Asked by mommy- at 3:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was 9
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I think it depends on the amount of hair. If she is pretty hairy at a young age, like 9 or 10, you could simply assist her until she gets the hang of it. I didn't let mine until age 13.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I was 11 when I started shaving. My parents got me an electric razor. I didn't start using a regular razor until I was in high school.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Whenever they need it. Puberty isn't something everyone starts at the same age so why should there be an age limit for shaving? As soon as she has hair she wants to get rid of she should start shaving.
    Plus this is a great opportunity to start teaching her about puberty. I got my period at 9. Whats he going to do if this happens? Not let her wear pads until she's 12? Get what I mean? He has to learn to address the needs as they happen, not when he feels they should happen.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My parents didnt let me shave til I was like 14. It was awful and embarassing! I will let my DDs as soon as it becomes necessary.
    Anonymous

• its really up to her and wha she feels comfortable with.
    let her do it on her own.
    it embarrassing for girls to not shave their legs.
    and just because she shaves them doesnt mean anything...
    Anonymous

• When she decides she no longer wants to be hairy. It should be entirely up to her, she's the one that will have to deal with the peer pressure, the insults, the locker room comments. Not you or your husband. Shaving is not a milestone, it's just shaving.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 4:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It really depends on the kid, I mean I think i started around 9 or 10...my mom didn't want me to, but i started doing it anyways, it's embrassing to have hairy legs, i mean YOU are the woman, he (men) don't have to worry about hairy legs.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 9:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I wasn't ever "allowed" - my mom never taught me or anything, so I snuck one of her razors right before starting high school and went to school my first day with horrible razor burn all over both legs. Even after that fiasco she never taught me. So, I'll teach my dauhter when she wants to know - she's almost 8 now, and at this age she's not old enough to notice or have peer pressure, but she's extremely hairy (all over body hairy, thanks grandpa!) so when she expresses a desire, I'll dang sure help her out. I doubt it'll happen before she's 10 though...at least I'm hoping not before then!
    Anonymous

• When she asks.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009