How does everyone feel about the swine flu shot for a one yr old?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel that all of the flu shots (regular or swine) have been found not to be very effective and have not been accurately studied (as is the case with almost all vaccines)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• However, if you are considering any kind of flu shot for your baby please ask for the mercury free one.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I agree with the above poster...
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 3:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't agree with any flu shots. We have no idea what they are going to do to people in the long term. And my husband researched the swine flu shot and there are preservatives in it, which can possibly be linked to autism and other problems. Plus, a flu shot only wards off ONE type of flu, so you can still get sick.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Does your pediatrician recommend it?

Do your research. Are you more afraid of the virus or the vaccine?

I have done my research. My son's pediatrician recommends it. My son will be getting it. He is 16 months old.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• BTW I am not afraid of the virus. However, my family has strong history of auto-immune problems. Illness, like flu, can trigger those problems. I have an auto-immune problem, and the flu or severe cold virus can leave me wheel-chair bound if I am not careful. So I vaccinate. Both flu and h1n1.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The swine flu vaccine has not been studied enough to assure safety. When it was approved by the FDA (September 15), it had only been tested on 31 children, and that was a VERY short term study. There have been no long term studies.
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182404.pdf (dated September 10)
    If you decide to get it, that's your business, but I agree with the PP- get the mercury free injection. The single dose vials are thimerosal free, but the multi dose vials are not.

emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2009