food stamp question

If a family has one parent who chooses to work, and one who chooses to stay home with the kids and be a stay-at-home parent, are they eligible for food stamps? If they meet the income guidelines, and get the food stamps, is the parent who isn't currently working required to look for a job and seek employment, or are they allowed to remain at home taking care of the children? I'm just curious as to how this works if anyone has any idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• The OP didn't ask for people's rude opinions. She asked for an answer to the question. Try to stay on topic.

A 2 parent family with 1 income that meets the eligibility guidelines can receive food stamps.
    Anonymous

• no you are NOT required to. My husband works and I choose to stay home with our kids. We get food stamps. It's a choice and nobody can make you choose otherwise....
    Anonymous

• Nope!
    Anonymous

• If you stay home you should be able to support your children on your own. you shouldnt be getting food stamps. Don't have kids if you need someone else to take care of them. It's not fair to the working mom who feeds her own kids that she works and would love to stay home but can't because she's not a leach. Birth Control or College. Find a way to take care of your OWN children.
    Anonymous

• thank you anon 3:43---you said what i was thinking perfectly...now only if you were "brave" enough to unclick the anon. button
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Anon, in some cases, they are not leaching. Working would be just enough to cover daycare in most cases, so it would be pointless. Atleast they know their kids are better off with them.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the OP. The anon at 3:43 was extremely rude and started judging before knowing the facts. I also agree with anon 3:50. Daycare is way too expensive and maybe some people want to stay at home rather than stick their kids in a daycare center where they'll get sick all the time and be raised by someone else. Ever think of that?
    Anonymous

• i guess i'm not going to get best answer huh.? My day is ruined!
    Anonymous

• My son lost his job and can't find another. His wife works and he stays home and takes care of his son. She makes so little they get food stamps and Medicaid.

My grandbaby has just been diagnosed with a very expensive medical condition. Now my son feels trapped. They can't loose his Medicaid. If my son gets a job with insurance his son may not be covered because it's a pre-existing condition. If he does get insurance he may max out. Some insurances kick you off after a million dollars.

So now we wait and see what the government is going to do about health care.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• "So now we wait and see what the government is going to do about health care."

Waiting is a bad, bad, bad idea. It's time for America to grow up and take responsibility for ourselves. I realize that your son, and your grandson are in a tough situation (heck we are too) but you can't sit around and wait to see what someone else is going to do about it. It's time to get up and take care of it yourselves.

Anonymous