how can I make him understand that this is normal?

So DD has caught 3 colds since she started daycare. And her father is FLIPPING OUT. She's only been in for 3 months and he is in this huge rush to get her vaccinated (my daughter does not receieve vaccines which we decided together).

What can I show him or tell him to make him understand that a simple runny nose is nothing to get so excited about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Three colds in three months is a little more than usual, but this is the time of year for it and if the baby is just starting to be around other children in an concentrated (daycare) setting I think it is pretty much inevitable. I also don't think vaccinating has anything to do with it, they don't/can't vaccinate babies for colds--maybe the doctor could explain this to your child's father.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Take him with you to all her doctor visists, if he's that worried the doctor will inform him.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have never taken my kids to daycare but maybe they would have some information to give you on simple preventative care. It may gi ve your hubby a subtle clue that it is common among daycare.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you aren't going to immunize you should not put them in high risk situations like day care. What are you thinking? If your child has to have child care it should be in your home.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• 3 colds in 3 months IS alot. i would be flipping a lid as well. poor baby:( you should really re-consider SOME of the vaccines..or take her out of daycare. its like gailll stated a high risjk enviorment to a child whom is not vaccinated. my daughter who is 2 1/2 (and is vaccinated) has only had one cold her whole life. so yes 3 colds IS alot.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 4:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I think it is very common for kids just starting daycare to catch a lot of colds, etc. My friend has 2 boys - fully vaccinated - that were both sick constantly when they first started daycare. I think your decision to not vax is a good one - it really just weakens their immune system. I would make sure she is getting at least 2 servings of good probiotics per day & plenty of Vit. D3, Vit.A & Vit. C. to boost her immune system.

My SO is also one that freaks out over stuff so I feel your pain.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure what you can show him. search pros and cons of day cares. You'll see the frequent illness as a con. It hpapens. My daughter was sick quite often at first. Now at 2 (she's been there since 8 weeks) she doesn't get sick nearly as often. i think it's just a matter of letting their immune systems develope. If not at day care, then they'll be sick at grade school and miss more important material and learning time.

You should be able to talk to your doc about colds and vaccines. I don't think having yoru child in day care is too big a deal. Ask your doc about how other kids being vaccinated may impact your child and if you should be concerned and have him explain to your hubby how colds and more serious illnesses are not related.
    Anonymous

• IMO, 3 colds in the first 3 months of life is NOT normal or healthy and she shouldn't be in daycare. You're ruining her immune system. She's going to catch alot worse.
    Anonymous

• i would be upset too! 3 cold in three mths is NOT normal! then again having a child around different kids everyday your littlt one is bound to get ill . i use to work in a daycare and the use to lrt the kids eat off the floor and off each other. needless to say i qiut!! thats one reason why im a sahm and i breast feed to help ward off illnesses... i know that this is not an option for everyone bt once she gets older ill give her vitamins
    Anonymous

• 3 colds within 3 mths you should be worried too...yikes!
    Anonymous