How do you find out if a college is a for profit school?

I would like to get my B.A. in History, but all of the local colleges around my area only offer history classes during the day, while I am at work. I would like to go to an online school, but not a for profit school. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in

• State colleges and universities are non-profit. It's a safe bet to assume all the others are for profit. There could be online programs from another university in your state. There may be a general studies degree and you could major in history.

Indiana University has a respected online general studies degree and I know you can major in history. I got this degree and majored in science years ago. I had no trouble getting into grad school at three universities. You would have to pay out of state fees but it would probably be cheaper than a for profit school. You can get financial aid.

When you are thinking about a degree remember to think about what can you do with the degree. What can you do with a degree in history?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• What can you do with a degree in history?

A lot of things. More specifically, I want to teach History a the college level or go through an alternative teaching program that my state offers so I can teach high school history. I would need my master's to do both so I would like to get a job working at a college after I finish my Bachelor's in History. I already know which University I would like to attend for my Master's. I have already checked out the program, but the problem I keep running into is finding undergrad history courses offered at night.
    Anonymous

• Start with a community college. They will likely have classes online, and the hours will easily transfer to a state universit.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If they want you to sign a contract, they are for-profit.

• Start with a community college.

I have already finished my Associate's degree. I have gone as far as I can at a community college.
    Anonymous

• You can take a lot of online classes through state universities and colleges. Just check with the college you are interested in and see what they offer online. The community/technical college I go to has online classes available.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2009