How can I make and utilize compost?

Im starting my second garden next year and Im trying to get it ready now. I read in a mag that making your own compost was really good for organic gardens (fruits and veggies). But what do I need? where to start? And how does it work? Are machines better, and which one do you prefer?

Thanx...

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 3:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Not sure if this is what you are looking for but since it is fall and you will probably be raking leaves. Buy some chicken wire and fashion into a tunnel, about the size of a large trash can. Set upright like a trash can. Pile leaves into it all winter and press. The outside moisture will turn it into black crud. I guess you could layer your veggies into it too but not sure about critters getting into it?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My compost pile is just a bug heap in the back over in the corner of the yard. You want a good mix of brown and green waste. Stay away from anything with fat/meat in it.

Our compost pile is a good mix of kitchen scraps (fruit, vegetables, coffee grounds and egg shells) and yard scrap (weeds, lawn clippings, leaves).

If it is dry for a long period you will need to water your compost pile.

I turn mine over every week or so.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 4:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009