Can someone be a pagan and not know it?

In other words, can someone have pagan roots and not even realize it is paganism that guides them?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Technically, everyone has pagan roots. All of our ancestors practiced SOMETHING before anyone came along and invented the Abrahamic religions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't think that makes them a Pagan really. I believe "Pagan" is a religious term & only properly applies to those who have chosen to follow that path. To label one with a title they did not choose would be wrong, in my opinion. That said, I think some people hold Pagan beliefs without realizing that is what they are, or without choosing to use that label. It is a fine line, but I believe an important one.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• "To label one with a title they did not choose would be wrong, in my opinion."

Oh gosh I totally agree and would never, ever do that!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Good point NP! If we look at ancestral roots, both as individuals & as Western cultures we all have Pagan roots.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• can you be Christian and not know it?
    Anonymous

• "can you be Christian and not know it? "

I don't think so...mainly b/c people are indoctrinated into christianity from the moment they are born. It's not a natural occuring belief or religion. It has to be taught.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't believe you are born into any religion. You maybe exposed to one more than the other from birth but as an adult we have free choice and there are plenty of opportunities, at least in the western world and certainly in America to choose your own faith or to not have faith. If our birth was the only factor why then do so many walk away from the faith of their parents or come to faith later as adults or teens.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I held pagan beliefs for many years before I knew that's what they were. So yes :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009