Pay bills AND save money?! Tips?

So I am currently trying to pay off past due bills that piled up when my hubby lost his job...Now he is working again and I am in charge of the money. Anyone know how to save SOME money and pay off the bills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Cut down on the "extras" after paying your bills--don't order out, make your own meals, don't take unnecessary trips to the mall to save gas and making impulsive purchases--shop online for what you HAVE to have instead, rent movies instead of going to the movies, review any subscription services you have--cancel them or cut down to basic level packages or services. Buy store brand or generic products, unplug electric appliances when not in use, lower your home thermostat-so the heat doesn't turn on till its a little cooler than normal, etc.

Basically eliminate the frills--for a while, at least or until you;ve saved at least 2 months (or more!) worth of the average total of all bills/expenses--including the rent/mortgage, insurance costs, utilities, and groceries!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Well at this point we have no extra money to save. We are just barely paying bills (no debt - just mortgage, insurance, electric, etc.). But I do collect and save any change I find or that I have in my purse. Once I fill a jar, I take it to the bank. It is usually around $25 - 45! It adds up. I have heard of saving all $5 bills. That would add up a lot faster than the change! The other thing you can do is cut out cable, internet, eating out, movies, entertainment, etc. I cut coupons and we get free movie rentals for our entertainment!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• We use the envelope system-- basically we have envelopes for everything under the sun, and when my husband gets paid, we pay the bills, and refill the envelopes. Everything that is left over can be split between debt and savings depending on what we are working on at the time.

You can also try paying yourself first- that way you're forced to live on whatever is left over.
    GOOD LUCK :)
    Anonymous

• Try saving 5% of his income each payday. It is a small start but make a 6 month goal to up that to 10%. Call all your creditors and make arrangements with them to pay less and lower any interest rates. They will do it if you ask. If you are not working, you can look for a work at home job, that is what I do. Here is a good website to check out, http://www.evelyn1.fourpointmoms.com You can request more info, just fill out the questionnaire.
    MarieEvelyn

Answer by MarieEvelyn at 6:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• With every paycheck we get before I even start to pay a bill I automatically transfer over 20-50$ to the savings acct. and we do not touch unless we really really have to (i.e. being a little short on rent or something).
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009