Moms of kids in diapers: Do you get fake nails done?

I bought these really cute fake nails from WalMart (the glue on kind) and i realized its NOT easy with two 8 month old kids. Its awful when changing diapers and i feel like im going to scratch them. I took them off today :)

Anyone out there able to do it, or do you have the same problem?

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You just need to get used to them. When i learned how to type I didnt have fake nails but I learned how to type with them. you are just not used to them. If you wear them for a while it wont happen anymore.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Well, I don't have fake nails, but my real ones do grow pretty well. When my first dd was school age, I used to keep mine long and painted (myself, not salon). Now that I have a toddler, I keep my nails short. I just cut them today, actually. If I don't, dd #2 likes to play with my thumbnail while nursing. It's really funny, but it just feels odd. It's easier when changing diapers and actually when typing too.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• The glue on at home type are not anywhere near as durable and will pop off at an inopportune moment.

I have had acrylic nails for - oh gee - over 10 years (ssshhh) and never had an issue with changing or dressing my girls; yes when they were first born I had the nail tech back off the length a bit but that's about all...
    Anonymous

• I never bought fake nails and since I had kids and later on grandkids, I made sure my nails were short---don't want to scratch a baby while changing their diapers or clothes. I see no reason for getting my nails done or having fake nails. Never did even when I was young and before I had kids. What a waste of money.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I stopped growing my nails long when my son was born and have not worn fake ones ever. I had started to grow mine again when I had my second baby. It's too hard for me to have long nails and change diapers like you said. I'm afraid I'll scratch them on accident. It's not worth it for me.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I get acrylic nails
    You just have to get use to it
    Anonymous

• no I can't afford them. Wish I could get my hair done but again...can't afford it.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 5:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i don't get acrylic nails because they kill my real nails. when i get them taken off, my nails are so weak and sensitive that everything hurts.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 5:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I am a nail tech and I am not wearing mine right now due to all the bacteria they can hold. Usually they are fine but I'm not chancing it at all.Press ons and acrylic can lift causing pockets to form which hold all types of yucky stuff underneath them. But - will say acrylic seals better. And fyi nothing personal but press ons can look really cheesy! As far as length I would agree with the others,shorten them a little and you have to get used to them.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Steff since you're a tech you know if people take proper care of them and get them filled every 2 weeks they shouldn't "pop" up with those air pockets unless the tech sucked (lol). I do get that not everyone does that but...

And mine are only "sharp" immediately after getting them done; I always file the edges once I get home. Geez people. And to Lindalu2 if they're not for you then they're not for you; but I don't see $30/month as a waste of $$ if it makes me feel like I'm doing something for myself...
    Anonymous