My 5 YO son is constantly doing something to terrerize and/or hurt my 3 YO son....

They are both boys and are usually very loving until they get together, then they are constantly fighting! My 5 YO takes stuff from his brother and teases him. I'm all the time seperating them. What do I do to resolve this and to make them get along! It's wearing me out mentally! UGH!!!

mominbolt

Asked by mominbolt at 5:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine are 6 and 4 and they do the same thing. They are absolute angels when the other one isn't around, but put them together and it is pure torture (to me). All I can say is keep them busy with activities and they won't have time to fight. I pull out the play doh or paints when they get antsy or we'll go outside to play and they are fine. But leave them with nothing to do and they make up their own "something" to do and it involves screaming and crying. My brother and I were the exact same way, so I get no sympathy from my mom. The good news is that they do grow out of it.....around 14 years old or so =)
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• wish i had an answer for you, but i am going through the same thing. mine are 2 & 4... only thing i can figure out is to keep them occupied with things they enjoy, and can do separately when they fight.
    problem with mine, is that the older ds is a shrimp, and the younger ds is built like a brick s**t house, and overpowers his older brother. maybe they'll figure it out on their own. my older brothers still pick on each other, and they are in their mid & late 30s. i guess it never ends.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Going thru the same here. My son is 5 and his little sister is 3. I send my son to his room sometimes until he can get his act together. After a while he comes back down and asks to rejoin us. it sometimes helps.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• When you find the answer, pass it along. Mine are 5 and 3 also. They have their moments when they are getting along beautifully, but then there are those days when it seems like all they do is fight. I'm still hoping they'll outgrow it, but it's probably just wishful thinking!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2009