Can I just not rake until Spring??

We just moved to a new house on a quarter of an acre. A week and a half later, my husband deployed for three months. Well, we live in WA where it is ALWAYS wet. It hasn't rained all day, but my leaves are still soaked and it's supposed to rain pretty much every day from here until.. Spring?

I tried to go out and do the leaves myself, but after an hour, I had accomplished very, very little, was exhausted from moving the soaked leaves and very frustrated. So my question is.. can I just leave them alone until Spring and deal with them when it is dry and my hubby is home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Why wouldn't you be able to? Unless you have some rule where you live or something that says you have to keep your yard up I don't see why you can't. Our leaves never get raked until around spring time.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You need to get a leaf blower. You can get the kind that is electric with a long cord or if the cord won't reach everywhere, you can get hand held gasoline powered ones. We live on 10 acres and have maybe three of them landscaped. Since I'm also in the PNW, trees shed leaves all over the place! So hubby bought a backpack style blower (like you see landscapers wear). I can easily wear it for an hour to get the job done. (I'm 43 years old and 5'5" 160 pounds-so not some athlete by any means!)
    Try one. Blow the leaves into a pile.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem going on! I have a huge yard with a lot of trees,last year i busted my butt raking and still had to do it in the spring.This year it's all waiting til spring!
    rita-jo

Answer by rita-jo at 6:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Lived all my life in the PNW and the thing about waiting is that they start to break down and a LOT of people are allergic to that. Blowers work really good. Also, put your lawn mower on the highest blade setting and empty the bag often. Its a pain! I grew up on half an acer and that was one of my chores growing up.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• A leaf blower isn't going to be of any use if they are wet. It won't harm anything to leave them be, but it'll be "prettier" if you can get them raked up when it's been dry for a couple of days. We live in the midwest and frequently leave them lay in the fall, and in the spring we'll have someone come and de-thatch the lawn (or whatever, it's like a power-raker pulled by a riding mower).
    Anonymous

• Wait til all the leaves fall. Rake them all up so when it snows or when it gets cold and the grass dies, in the spring, no dead bare spots occur because of leaves.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Leave the leaves! Over the winter, they will breakdown and fertilize your grass.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The leaves will make good fertilizer but only for the trees from which it dropped from. The leaves will smoother and kill your lawn grass especially if the leaves are big. Do you have a lawn mower with a mulching feature? If you do then you can wait for another day that it is not raining and mow the grass this way. It will shred the leaves just enough to where it will fertilize the lawn grass without killing it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2009