my 3 almost 4 year old nephew has temper tantrums, and hits himself, what can I do to stop him from hurting himself?

Aj2432

Asked by Aj2432 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Little kiddos don't have the verbal communication skills to let us know they are really mad.  Therefore, they have a temper tantrum to show us how mad they are.  Lots of people say to ignore it.  I disagree.  Imagine if you were really mad at your husband, would it help if he ignored you or walked away?  I say, get down to eye level, hold him, tell him you know he is really mad.  Ask, are you really mad?  Understand, provide empathy, BUT DON'T GIVE IN.  Hug, kiss, and tell give one simple reason why.  Then move on.  Books on anger, temper tantrums.  Read some together to help him understand how to get rid of his anger http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2009