What makes a Christian? and why aren't Catholics Christians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "It is a status symbol here to be Catholic and unfortunately, most will tell you that all you need to do is "be a good person" and that's not it. I pray that you are right in the most Catholics are Christian because most are not here."

This absolutly silliest statement I've ever heard in my entire life! You may think it's that way where you live, but I'll bet it's not really that way. Your 28 years in the Catholic church were wasted. You obviously didn't even try to learn about the faith and truly practice it. That's ok, many Christians of all denominations are like you were as a Catholic. They are spoon fed things and they don't really make the effort to understand what they are being taught. I know a ton of Protestants that are the same way. They can spew out Bible verses, but they cannot tell me WHY they are doing so.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• What makes a Christian is the individual's devotion to Jesus. There are Christians in all denominations.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Catholics are Christians. Only bigots like to say they aren't.
    Anonymous

• I was Catholic for 28 years and NOT a Christian. When I was Catholic I would have disagreed and said yes, Catholics are Christian but now I know MOST are not. A Christian plain and simple is someone who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Anonymous

______________

Glad to know that you have personally met most of the over 1 billion Catholics world wide so you KNOW that most are not Christian.

eye rolling

ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 7:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Catholics do accept Christ along with the Father and the Holy Spirit. God for us comes first. BTW. Catholics were first Christians until the reformation.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I always wonder if this stubborn insistence by certain Protestants that Catholics are not Christian isn't just a reaction to Catholicism being the largest Christian denomination by a very large margin.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• You know what really bugs me- is all the hiding behind ANON posts for the bashers.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 7:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I do wonder about former Catholics who bash their former faith and spread misinformation about it - I wonder if they're more invested in proving the Catholic Church wrong (to justify their decision to leave the faith) then they are in coming to better understanding Christ and His teachings.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous
    I was Catholic for 28 years and NOT a Christian. When I was Catholic I would have disagreed and said yes, Catholics are Christian but now I know MOST are not. A Christian plain and simple is someone who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
    --

Are you saying the Catholic Church, as a whole, does not teach and hold doctrine that Jesus Christ is the Savior?

Anonymous