Ever just grab a snack off the shelf in the store and hand it to your kid before paying?

We had a big shopping day and my 14 month old was getting pretty cranky. He was pretty much screaming so I just opened a box of cheez-it's and handed it to him. Then I payed for it at the end.

The cashier actually said "um did you know this is open" lol yea obviously I opened it, my son is holding 2 of them and chewing on 1 ( yes I know they have to ask, it was funny)

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• my aunt does this with my son, but no i don't do it, nor can i ever remember having done it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have seen mothers do this and think it is a slippery slope. I think I have done it once. I plan on never doing it again. It's just tacky. I have brought snacks, library books, let the kids read store books before returning them, and we have gotten the free slices of cheese or free cookie but that's as far as I go.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have opened a pack of fruit snacks on rare occasion, and I have opened waters too, for myself. Now that my daughter is three and a half I use that as an opportunity to teach self control, she has to wait until we have paid for our food before we can eat it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes as long as it is something that gets scanned not weighed.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No. I don't feel something belongs to me til after I've paid.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I have opened boxes of crackers for him if I'm shopping awhile. Of course, I put the opened box in my cart and pay for it on the way out.
    That is if I forget to bring my own snacks from home.
    Anonymous

• I have done that a few times with animal crackers, I try not to do it, but in the end it's paid for.
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 7:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No, I always bring something for her.

Although the other week I bought green beans and she was begging for them lol the cashier was laughing as we went through the check out, and she had a green bean in each fist, chomping away. I told her I'd much rather my little one beg me for fresh green beans than a cookie any day of the week!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Yes I have done it with my kids and myself. Is it wrong?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Bring your own snacks in your purse. That's stealing. It's tacky, and sets a bad example for your children. Your children are learning no patience, and they can take whatever they want, when they want it, by having a fit. I realize your dd is only 14 months old, but at what age exactly will you teach her patience & discipline, and be responsible enough to pack your own snacks ahead of time? Or will you be the mom in the grocery store with the 5 year old screaming for a snack and driving the rest of us shoppers nuts?
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009