Why does it hurt when I ovulate?

When I was 13/14 my dad had to take me to the hospital for a bad pain, like a stabbing pain near my hip bone. They thought it was my appendix but they did a u/s and said it was just from ovulating. Since then I have always had pain when I'm ovulating. Why does it hurt? I just guessed that my tubes were small so it hurt when the egg was coming out... but that sounds really stupid and very unlikely, so what is it? Can I make it stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know but I have had the same pain for yrs. I also run a low grade fever for a couple days with it. My OBGYN said that some women are fortunate enough to know when they ovulate. I didn't think I was lucky, I don't like the pain.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I'd ask your OB/GYN if they have checked for Endometriosis lately during the 'manual exam'

You'd think they'd notice while they're doing their thing; but mine did an exam; then I mentioned my cousin had just been diag with a severe case and he did a 2nd check and found slight nodules. My cousin was unfortunate in that she became sterile her case was so severe; mine actually seems to have improved after two preg; but I was warned that the preg could make it worse; more painful...

So it's a thought...Best Wishes
    Anonymous

• It is your egg travelling through your falopian tube and then rupturing. You can take tylenol or something like that for the pain, it can last for up to 72 hours, hopefully shorter.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I hate ovulation pains, too. Someone told me it was like a zit being squeezed and the inside pressure being released. Gross. I'm almost 43 and am already looking forward to menopause, except for the hot flashes.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I had the same situation, around 14-15 though, and it was a cyst. Never had another cyst really, but I have had ovulation pain every month since I was about 18. It's part of life. I'm just glad I had my appendix out not too long ago, now I don't have to wonder if it's my ovary or my appendix every other month!
    Anonymous

• I have the same thing..I always know when Im ovulating...what side its coming from etc etc If it gets really bad I take Tylenol or something along those lines, but usually I just deal with the pain...My pain isnt as bad as yours, but its uncomfortable....Good Luck!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2009