Do you know what cerebral palsy is ?

Asked by MOMMYTO5CUTIES at 5:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• i have heard of it, but in all honesty I don't know what causes it or things like that. Doesn't Michael J. Fox have it? if you find out send me some info, always wanting to learn more.

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 5:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• yes i know what it is and what causes it and in responce the the answer beffore me no Michael J Fox dosent have cerebral palsy he has Parkensen

Answer by cpmom610 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• This previous answer suprisingly does not shock a mother of a child with cerebral palsy it is sickening to me to know how many people have "heard" of it, but have absolutely NO idea what it is...Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's Disease...close...but no cigar....Cerebral Palsy happens in a child with there is brain damage at birth, just after birth or in any time in early development in the brain.....Cerebral Palsy affects 1 in 278 children have Cerebral Palsy, please everyone, take FIVE minutes out of your lives and look at and read a little bit about Cerebral Palsy, it's not a disease, it is not contagious and our children are just like your children, they have a unique personality, they dream, and have aspirations in life...they dream about never being stared at again, they aspire to be doctors and lawyers, and they are funny, whitty and intelligent..

Answer by mommyto3pcr at 6:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I know what it is - my sister-in-law has cerebral palsy as well as a lady in my mother's group. If the kids or I ever have any questions, I just tell them to ask. They may actually learn something!!

Answer by MrsRalf at 10:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yes, I know what it is, my 3 year old is diagnosed with it. For moms who don't know....rather than giving a technical it goes. Robby is 3 years 5 months old, he doesn't walk yet, he still does his special crawl, he cannot eat with a spoon yet-it's to hard, he has roughly a 25 word vocabulary, and has fits because we don't know what he means...but you know what.....he is one of the coolest kids anyone could ever meet!!! I am told that frequently!!!

Answer by mamatware at 8:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes I know what it is, my beautiful daughter has it. Just because she can't speak does not mean she has nothing to say. Just because she can't crawl or walk doesn't mean she doesn't want to, she tries but has very little strength. She gets mad when we don't know what she wants because she can't tell us. She would love to be able to eat everything by mouth like other kids, but she can't so she eats by g-tube. But she is so happy and her smile can brighten your worst day, and people who get to know her Love her so much, she is an angel on earth.

Answer by purplemama at 12:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes, I do! My son has Cerebral Palsy.

Answer by Mikala2659 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes, I know what Cerebral Palsy is, my son has it...but, I learn more about it every day!

Answer by Leanna_mom23 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son has CP...and I totally agree with everyone else's responses (except the first one)...but you forgot something else---CP is sort of like the cold that runs through your families...someone gets the sniffles, someone stays in bed for a week, someone walks around in a fog, someone loses their appetite---CP is the same way. There are different types, and each child is different, but beautifully special in their own way. Some can't walk. Some can't talk. Some can't eat. Some are mild,moderate, or severe. But in the end it doesn't matter, because they are people too, and they are loved beyond measure.

Answer by heathersebi at 9:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yes I do. And even though I know about it and my son has cerebral palsy I do not know everything about it and don't expect others to know about it at all. I think that it is great for people to admit that they do not know something and also even better when they want to learn more! The only reason I probably know a lot about cerebral palsy is because my son has it, if he didn't I wouldn't know much about it either.

Answer by BikeGirl at 3:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008