Enfamil v. Similac My doctor has recommended Similac Sensitive RS for my son. Not so much for spitting up but for his gas problems. I'm concerned because it only comes in the liquid formula and I don't get any type of assistance (i.e. WIC) and I'm concerned about the cost. Enfamil AR Lipil seems to be the same type of formula and it comes in a powder form and would probably be more cost effective. Any body have any suggestions? Are they the same thing?

CRSE1214

Asked by CRSE1214 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This probably wont help you put my son is on the same kind but my doctor told me straight up that Similac was way better than Enfamil and parents choice! It kind of disappointed me because i wanted to use the cheaper one. But you have to do what best for baby
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My SIL just had to change to a different formula for her Youngest Jacob. She tried a few cans of both and they worked the same. Jacob wasn't gaining any weight and she switched and he gained about 6 pounds in four weeks!
    onespoiledwife

Answer by onespoiledwife at 2:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Breastmilk is best for ALL babies, especially if your baby is showing signs of being allergic or has a sensitivity to milk products. Just cut out the dairy in your own diet, or cut it down. If you are not lactating, you can re-lactate. Talk to a lactation specialist.
    MommyEmmy79

Answer by MommyEmmy79 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• NO.

Enfamil A.R is thicker formula mixed with starch for babies with Acid Reflux. What you would use instead of Similac is Enfamil Gentlease, it has 1/4 lactose than regular formulas, and much gentler on babys tummy.

My son always preferred Enfamil over Similac for some reason. He went through almost all formulas on the market, Gentlease worked great, but enfamil Nutramigen worked even better ( very expensive, no cow or soy protein ) but now drinks rgular milk prefectly fine =]
    newmommyy322

Answer by newmommyy322 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You might try Good Start. It is gentle of tummies and doesn't cause as much gas. It also costs less than the bigger name brands. We used it and it worked great.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• First of all i give my son infamil prosobee. and no matter what milk he drank he still got gas. what i did that really helped my son was to buy mylicon for gas relief. put it in his bottle before shaking it. once u put it in shake and all the bubbles are gone. thats what helped my son.
    monkeygirl1280

Answer by monkeygirl1280 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I Breastfeed but supplement with Similac Isomil Soy Advanced. She never spits up and loves it. I add an 1oz extra of sterile water to 3oz. It makes it less concentrated and her belly can handle it better. Try that. It could be both brands are just too concentrated for her.

Hope that helps!
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 12:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Oh and for the gas, try Playtex drop-ins system. We use those and I never have to use Mylocon. Also, lay on tummy it helps pull up the air bubbles and he can pass gas more easily in that position.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 12:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• The Similac Sensitive RS is made with rice starch. Its lactose free but is still made with milk. I dont use the RS formula but just the sensetive formula and my son does great. It comes in powder form, not just the liquid. You may try looking at a different store if they dont carry the powder. Hope that helps!
    armymom_tobe

Answer by armymom_tobe at 12:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I breastfed my younger son, he was still having problem with the gasing problem. Breastmilk is the greatest thing but doesn't mean it works 100%.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2008