What can I give my 5 yearold for a head ach? I hace tried IBP and tylonal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Motrin IS Ibuprofen. Give the Ibuprofen with a bit of caffiene, it helps to speed up the absorption on the Ibuprofen. I know from experience. I get migraines as does my 13 yr old son and both of our doctors told me to do this. A friend of mine goes to a Neurologist for her migraines and her doc also told her the same thing. Make sure your son is hydrated, gets enough sleep each night and eats regularly to keep blood sugar levels even.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If your child has a headache that won't go away after using Tylenol and Ibuprofen then you should take her to the doctor and find the cause of the headache.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If those other meds didnt work then id assume its a migrane. make an appt with the dr and find out what it could be
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• id try motrin too. sometimes its more effective then the other meds
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• not to scare you but make sure she/he can touch their chin to their chest. If they cant it could be menangitits
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Ibp is motrin, wewhere just at the er because she also had a temp and is nausa, but if we could just kick the headach she would be alot happyer.
    four2bmws

Answer by four2bmws at 8:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Caffeine. That is what the ingredient is in most headache medicine. If your child can take some sips of coke or other soda that has caffeine - tea will work too. This is what makes Excedrin so effective. Caffeine is also great for asthma attacks if you do not have an inhaler available. If it is so bad that it lasts longer than a few hours - I would personally take my child to see the doctor, urgent care, or what ever happens to be available. Most of the time a headache is just a headache. Even really bad ones. But sometimes we can be sick, have a headache, but have no fever. I would try the caffeine and if that doesn't knock it out or there are other signs: lethargic, not eating, fever, having trouble with urination or bowels - take your child in.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• In my experience and the studies I've read, headaches are typically a sign of dehydration. Get your child to drink clean filtered water. Ideally, they and everyone else should be drinking half their weight in ounces of water a day. (Juice, soda, tea, coffee -- do not count as water)
    health4family

Answer by health4family at 9:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i have given my child Motrin his doctor told me that it was better for him then tylenol and IBF, and his headaches went away faster then those other 2 brands and it didnt hurt his tummy either..
    rjcerv

Answer by rjcerv at 1:11 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The headache could be from dehydration and the temperature. The nausea could be from the pain or from the motrin. Motrin makes some people sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2009