How can I ask questions without bashing?

I aksed a question before and was told I was bashing and arguing. How can I have a discussion and get a better understanding of a religion without offending?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Posting a question without offending others truly is an art form. I've asked a few serious questions about Christianity and haven't been met with hostility. My latest one was about Episcopal churches and why they look like Catholic cathedrals. It's ALL in the way you word something. Practically everyone knows that I'm not the biggest fan of Christianity, but I CAN be respectful and neutral when need be. That's another thing, you must be neutral in your wording. If you say "I don't understand why Christians do this!" or "Why do you think atheists are this way?" then that's just an invitation for someone to come in and scream at you. The majority of us in the R&B section have been around since the Answers section was created. We can (usually) tell when someone is being genuine or not.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• by humbling yourself.

start it off with something like "I really have no idea what i'm talking about, which is why i'm asking this question. I would really like a better idea about (fill in blank here). I do not mean to offend anyone and like i said, i don't really know anything about this topic. So polite and well thought out answers would be greatly appreciated".

It's still not gonna stop all the rude comments and what not. But it will help. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• well, I would say start by not posting anon. Anon posts are usually they seem to be the ones that are bashing others.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Well, for me, if I see a topic that says something like, "I have a ? about Wicca" then Im likely to open it and if the question is equally open and unassuming Ill answer.

If I see a question that says "Wiccans worship Satan" I may open it to see the actual question but if I see something along the lines of, "Why do Wiccans continue to worship Satan when God is right there waiting for them,etc" then Im likely to blow it off or wait for the fireworks to start.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• But it's not that I have no idea. I have some firm beliefs, but I also want more people's perspectives to increase my understanding of faith. It's not that I just want information. I want to know how people truly feel about difficult issues. When I ask questions people on here seem to be offended. If someone doesn't want to give their view on something I'm not forcing them. I just want to know how people accept the things I cannot.

Anonymous

• i disagree, ave..you're stereotyping some questions simply because the post is anon? however, OP, as has just been demonstated, when you post anon, more people will be poised to argue..it gets their guard up, and a lot of the time, the post gets passed by.
    Anonymous

• I know anon posts can be rude, but mine arent' meant to be. I'm not comfortable posting out in the open on this topic. My views are different from most in my community and it would be bad for professionally to be open about some of what I believe.

Anonymous

• If you are truly content with the way you asked your ? then you shouldnt give a sh** whether someone considers it bashing or not. I have had the same probs with ?'s and write it off as someone not understanding my? or just being naive. Id just post what you want to and know that its not gonna please every one. Just ignore the high school drama and wait for the mature answer you are looking for :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• If you have some idea about what you are talking about it is still possible to humble yourself. Even something as simple as

"i saw this (fill in blank, or add link or whatever here) on such and such and was wondering what others think about it?"

There are ways. and like i said, it's not going to stop all the rude comments or accusatory of bashing others. but it will limit them in most cases.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It's not that I'm upset that someone is mad. I think it revels alot about some one's faith if they attack someone who questions it.

The issue is that I'm not getting answers, just hostility. I really would like to understand the beliefs of other people at a deeper level.

Anonymous