Do you ladies think it is okay for a 3 yo to still have her passy?

I cant help but give in to my lil girl when she wants her pacifier... do you ladies think it is still okay for her to have it?

CatesMom0816

Asked by CatesMom0816 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Probably not the best, but it's not the end of the world either. So many kids suck their thumbs or fingers and there isn't a lot that can be done about that. My sister did well beyond 3 years old!! I would at least be encouraging her to give it up. My son was almost 3 when we broke him. He only got them at bedtime and he had to keep track of it. Once he lost it or couldn't find it, that was it. We had two rough nights and reminded him that he couldn't find it, then all was well. Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• no way!
    Anonymous

• Throw them all in the trash. Tell her big girls do not suck on passifiers. Only babies do.

Answer by louise2 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Not at all, it reflects poorly on you as a parent. She should be able to find another way to soothe herself by now. By giving in you could be holding back her verbal communication, making her dependant on an object she cant have forever, and even damaging her tooth structure.
    Anonymous

• I don't see a problem with it, it is highly unlikely that she will take it to school with her but a speech theraphist would definately say differently. They say it will slow thier speech and may cause other speech problems.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• No.
    There are studies that show that pacifiers interfere with proper speech.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Absolutely NOT. Take it away yesterday!
    Anonymous

• okay, first her speech is perfectly fine... she is above average in everything, she just gets it mainly when she is tired and ready for bed and sometimes when we are lounging around... i make her take it out when she is speaking... and i am not a bad parent... i think i am doing a damn good job raising her by myself... i think if you talked to her she would blow you away with what all she know and how she communicates with you... she expresses herself very well...
    CatesMom0816

Answer by CatesMom0816 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't think you're a bad parent for letting her still have it. But I do think it is time to say good bye to it :( It can mess up how her teeth come in.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I don't think giving your child a passy at rest times is going to interfere with her speech development!!!!!

In the end, it's your decision. I would try to wean her by age four, because of potential problems with her teeth. It doesn't really matter what we think or say, because we don't know your child the way you do.

My 16 month old uses a pacifier at naptime and bedtime, and I have no plan to take it from her anytime soon. If she doesn't self-wean by three, THEN I will begin to gently wean her.

Good luck! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2009