what would you do? hmm a toughy

so tomorrow im grocery shopping on 114$. these groceries have to last about a week. i want to make cupcakes! do you think it would be wrongto but cake mix and a can of icing? basingthis on the amount of money i have to make groceries last a week?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• we spend about $100 every two weeks for a family of 5. I only buy sale items and use coupons, around here some stores double $1 ones. You should be fine. only buy what is one sale!!! and get those cupcakes and frosting you want too.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• How big is your family?

I have a family of two (myself and DD) and I try to make it on about $60 weekly. I try to cook entirely from scratch. Cooking this way can be expensive if you don't have the basics, but is still cheaper overall than processed foods. Buy fresh--potatoes, veggies and fruits that are in season, etc. Buy dried beans to replace a few meals--usually beans for for $1 a bag in CT. Food is expensive in CT where I live! Buy a whole chicken which will get you 2-3 meals. And you can cook down the carcass for homemade chicken stock--soup for 2-4 more meals.

HTH mama! If you really watch what you buy, you can definitely feed your family and still buy cupcake mix!
    Anonymous

• a family of 3. {op}
    Anonymous

• O.K. how many people are you feeding on this? I can feed a family of 5 quite easily on that. A couple of tips, buy the store brand, there isn't usually a big difference in quality. Cook from scratch as much as you can. The more convenient things are the more costly they are. Look for ways you can cut your food budget, coupons, specials etc. Then you won't feel bad about making cupcakes.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would rationalize that cake mix and frosting is only 99 cents at my store. It definitely will be ate and not wasted. So yes I would buy it!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• i would think so. im not sure what all you buy so that could add up but i spend about 180 for our family of three for two weeks, but i buy in bulk once a month at sams also so im not buying certin items each time, cheese chicken etc. go with store brands, do cupons you can find some online, i think you you should be able to squeeze in some cupcakes :)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• IF U WANT IT GET IT ! SHIT I HAVE 5 PEAPLE TO FEED ME,HUSBAND, 2 KIDS,MY DAD THAT LIVES WITH USE . I SPIND ABOUT $ 465 A MOUNTH ! DAM YALL GOT IT CHEAP !
    Anonymous

• $114 a week should be no problem for 3 people. I am going to try to feed my family (of 4, but DH won't be home, so they'll be 3 of us for $200 for the entire month.

As far as cupcakes, what kind of basic baking supplies do you have at home? Do you have cocoa, sugar, butter, powdered sugar, etc? If so, just find a recipe and make it from scratch. You might need to buy cake flour, but you can probably find a recipe to use all purpose flour.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Check the grocery store circulars. I go between two stores each week (as they're both close by), and I buy what's on sale. If broccoli is 99cents a pound, we're having it this week. If spinach is on sale, we're having it this week. It's the only way I buy meat (or BJs) and cake mix! As they both last a while (meat=freezer,) I make out okay. I needed a cake unexpectedly and almost passed out when I saw the non-sale price. (I usually get a few when it's 10 for $10.) A fellow shopper noticed my face go pale, and she suggested Wal-Mart. So, check those prices and get that mix (and frosting if you're lucky), girl! Good luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I would say that sounds do-able! I feed a family of 4 on $100 every week and that INCLUDES diapers, paper towel, etc.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2009