hormones and acne

I never had acne as a teenager. Maybe a pimple here or there . . . but nothing serious.

Now, whenever I'm about to get my period, I get horrible breakouts. I suppose it is still considered "mild acne" from what I googled, but it shows up bright red on my skin (plus I have a hard time with not popping any whiteheads). My nose is covered in blackheads that won't go away.

Nothing I googled said anything about hormones and acne. How exactly do hormones affect our skin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Lemon juice. Natural and cheep. Wash your face, use a toner like witch hazel, and/ or lemon juice. If you want something "all natural" you don't need to pay someone to give you what you may already have.

Lastly, find an oil control facial lotion. A lot of suffers are afraid of adding lotions but that dry skin is a breeding ground.
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 1:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I actually had horrible acne as a teenager. I am not sure what actually causes it, but I can help you fix it. I have been using Mary Kay since I was 13 years old because I needed. I became a consultant when I was 18 years old to help others with their skin. I know it can really hurt your self esteem! PM me for the CafeMom special. www.marykay.com/ahenderson1

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 6:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). http://www.ewg.org/

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i agree. don't use anything that has all those nasty chemicals in them. it's not good for you or your face. i deal with the same thing and sometimes still get big nasty cyst type pimples. I started using a mild natural soap twice a day and a toner from Jason's(organic) and inexpensive! Then i follow with aloe vera for moisture or find a safe, light moisturizer that does what you need it to. but do your research first and give it time!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2009