When being a sahm/wahm do you teach youre children to read?

What tool do you use? I was a school teacher and enjoyed teaching. For years I have taught my own children at home. I entered a homeschooling group and they dont teach their children really anything....coming from a teacher view point. One lady I know taught her children how to read by using Frontline Phonics. I personally have my own teaching methods and various tools, methods and theories. I start my children at 6 months. They are all advanced and have recieved dozens of rewards and even the major gave my daughter a reward. With four children I have learned that they all learn differently. So what is youre take.

*NOTE:*
*I dont care for the type of mothers views who sit at home all day, on the computer, dont cook, dont clean and just lazy.
*I dont care to hear the views of mothers who dont teach.
*Learn through play is ok, just no bashing

If you would like to teach just send me a direct reply & I can help you out

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 9:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I worked full time and managed to teach my child to read; she was reading chapter books at four.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• rkoloms,
    Im also asking how did you teach her? Thats really good that as a working mom you took the time to teach her. How is she doing in school?
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 9:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I am a teacher also....I have a Bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education.

I started reading to my children in the womb. I never pushed that hard, I want them to learn and enjoy it as well, so we learn a lot through exploring and playing.

My dd began reading at 3.5 years old. At first I thought she was memorizing...nope! She reads anything and everything. My son is 6 and reads very well....he started around 4.5. He is a very good problem solver too ;)

They are both computer whizzes too. Especially my dd. She loves starfall and nickjr online.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I just started with my son. We are working on letters and sounds right now. Our library has packets they put together for every letter of the alphabet. It comes with several books based on just one letter. I read those to him and have him look for the letter as we read. He is 3 and sometimes my 2 year old sits with us!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I did not teach my kids to read. They learned for their own reasons, in their own time, I think mostly because they are immersed in the use of language, oral and written, in our home. Both are now excellent readers, and it is impossible to tell who has been reading longer --or how long ago they learned.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• My son is 20 months old and he knows his alphabet, can spell some three letter words, knows some colors, numbers up to 5, and can spell daddy. I teach him using the same method my mother taught me. I use index cards and spend about an hour a day working at it. I write each letter on a different index card and then mix them up and he reads them off to me. He can't say his alphabet in order yet ( only up to E) but he can look at anything with words or letters written on it and tell you what letters are on it and he will point them out to you. We also play a lot of music all the time during our learning time and I think that may help him a little as well, it calms him down and helps him focus. Plus there is a TON of praise involved. Colors and numbers are done roughly the same way.

MamaFen

Answer by MamaFen at 11:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• Please teach yourself the proper uses & spellings of the various versions of "your" and "you're" before teaching them wrong to your children - you're using it totally wrong in your post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• HATE MAIL PLEASE GET A LIVE, GET OUT OF MY BUSINESS, YOUR CHILDISH WAYS ARE NOT WANTED ON CAFEMOM. GO CLEAN SOMETHING BEFORE YOURE HUSBAND COMES HOME TO BEAT YOUR ASS FOR BEING ON THE COMPUTER ALL DAY LOL

HOW ABOUT YOU CHANGE A DIAPER TO CLEAR UP YOURE CHILDS DIAPER RASH.

HAVE YOU COOKED DINNER YET!!!! LOL

Your just mad because you are one of those fat lazy moms who dont teach their children, instead YOU are on the internet all day sending anonymous HATE MAIL

blahahahahahahaha please
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 1:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• *I entered a homeschooling group and they dont teach their children really anything....coming from a teacher view point.*

I've met teachers that hardly teach; same can be said in both worlds.

Yes, I taught all of my children to read; some learned while I worked, some when I was staying home. My girls were reading by age 4, and my son was reading by age 3. My approach was simple; I worked with them since they were born. I did not shove anything down their throats however I had reasonable milestones I expected them to meet and if they exceeded my expectations then good. They do state testing and are advanced; they are all working two grade levels above their peers, so I know I’m doing what is right for them.

I am proud of my children’s accomplishments however I do not belittle those that don't teach their children every little thing. I hope that parents stay as involved in their kid's education as much as they can.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It's easy to see from your post why you used to be a teacher.

I've not used a "tool". I've followed the lead of my toddlers, teaching them letters, numbers, colors and shapes as we've played. My 3 year old is reading better than my 5 year old, but that's where HIS interests are...reading and math. My 5 year old has been concentrating more on the sciences and can actually read more than he lets on.

In all honesty, there is no need for preschoolers to be reading anyway. Their "job" is to be kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2009