Does anyone else have a toddler who like to "hump" things?

My daughter who is almost 3 seems to hump small tables, chairs, toys, etc. as a comforting habit. She has done this since she could turn over on her stomach as she would put her toy glowworm underneath her to sleep. I thought she would grow out of it, but she has not. I'm worried because she started preschool they will ask about this behavior. It's getting to be embarrassing to her dad and I. Is this normal? Does anyone have suggestions on how to get her to stop?

Peppergen

Asked by Peppergen at 9:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes its normal, yes your feels of embarrassment are acknowledged, and no you shouldn't tell her its wrong or not to do it. You could however explain to her that that's something you do in the privacy of your room not at school. My son is 3.5 and my friends daughter is the same age. They both hump things randomly or play with themselves, and my friend and I have always told them if their going to have "maison time" (my son's name) he has to do it in his room. Its perfectly normal and ok, but something only maison can do by himself, and no one else can see because its private. Then we talk about our private parts, how its ok for people at school to see your nose and toes and ears and fingers etc. but its not ok for them to see maison time or his private parts. Hope this helps!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I agree with ba13grl1987. Good answer!
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• It is natural and should not make child feel bad. She may have doen this to go to sleep. Some kids bump their heads to go to sleep. It may not be a sexual thing at all.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 10:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• *****MY MAJOR IS IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION**********

Yes its normal. Its natural for boys and girls to toucj their genitals. Touching produces a pleasant sensation, mostly when the diaper is off. Its neither sexual nor emotional experiance for toddlers. Their is no reason to discourage this act. Discouraging or having a negative reaction may cause them to think that something is wrong. She may interpret this as something being wrong with her and cause some self esteem issues. Wait until she is older to teach her about provacy and modesty. For now except the behavior as normal curosity but curosity kills the cat. So dont be blind but be more aware. Some kids get way way way to curiose and start sticking crayon and stuff in there. TMI, i know but true.
    TummyPrincess

Answer by TummyPrincess at 12:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2009

• O its normal my nephew does that I was starting to think he saw something some where cause he like goes in the closet with one of my DD dolls and I catch him with his pants down and he is only 3 I don't like that at all I wish he wouldn't do it lol
    Anonymous

• From the start let me say that I am not saying this is what is going on with your children.... just a thought... My younger sister used to "hump" her stuffed animals when she was little... now she is 20 years old and has recently went to a counselor to learn how to deal with being molested as a child by our brother, the first thing that the counselor asked was if she humped things as a child because it was a classic sign of children being molested.... like I said I am not saying that if a child humps something that they were molested but it never hurts to always talk to your child and make sure that are not being touched in a bad way.
    Anonymous